× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.82 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.82 Released

New Features: 

• Supports QoS
  • Supports Smart Parental Control (SPC)
  • Supports WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes ReadyShare add/edit/browse folder issue
  • Fixes IP address reservation cap of only up to 64 issue 

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/raxe500.aspx#download

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAXE500.aspx#docs

NOTE: Nighthawk app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...Please leave feedback.

Message 1 of 17
Mitcher
Guide

Re: New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.82 Released

Excellent. This is a really important firmware update feature-wise. I was waiting on both QoS and Smart Parental Controls.  I updated a few days ago and so far everything seems to be working as expected. I hosted a full-day Zoom event yesterday with zero disconnections.  QoS and SPC were both enabled. Nice work! Thank you!

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it working well. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 3 of 17
Mitcher
Guide

Backup taken. Thank you for the reminder.  I have been running this firmware now for a couple of weeks since its launch.  It has been very stable. I did some testing regarding QoS and it seems to be working properly.  In addition, I purchased SPC and that too is working properly. Thanks again for a great release!

Message 4 of 17
sudo-visudo
Aspirant

Hopefully this is the right place to report this.

I have 2 external drives attached to each of the router's 2 USB ports. Beginning with version 1.09.78, when you access media though a media player (e.g. smart TV, Roku), it will see both drives BUT it will show that one of them is empty. It's always the 2nd one you plugged in. I know because I unplugged both and plugged in the 2nd one first. Now the one that was previously empty is now full, whereas the other is empty. This happens only when using a media player. There is no problem with either drive when using a computer.

Rather than revert to an older firmware, I moved all my media to the 1st drive so the media players can access them. Keep in mind this is just a workaround. It says this release "Fixes ReadyShare add/edit/browse folder issue". I don't what them mean by this, but it's not the issue I'm having.

Other than this 1.0.10.82 is great. I love the option being able to "blend" WPA2 and WPA3. Previously I couldn't use WPA3 because of legacy devices on my network.

Message 5 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

After updating to this firmware and enabling WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode, I was surprised that several mobile devices started to complain that my network was hidden, despite SSID Broadcast being enabled on all bands. On performing a WiFi scan, I found that the Guest networks were up and running in hidden mode despite never being enabled. On a hunch I initialized all the Guest networks with non default values, left them disabled, and restarted. The primary SSIDs were no longer hidden and the guest SSIDs were no longer present. Weird.

There still seems to be no obvious means to set the DHCP lease interval, packet tracing on previous builds suggest those builds were using a default value equivalent to 24 hours. I suspect this is still the case with this build. A 24 hour lease time is a fine default for a commercial environment, but Apple and Google both recommend a default of 8 hours for non commercial use. If anyone knows of a means to either view or change the lease interval, that'd be appreciated. A too long lease interval can result in a DHCP request being refused, resulting in a device not receiving an IP address. This might not be an issue in environments with a few handfuls of devices, but is a significant issue in setups with many dozens of devices.

Many of the help screens are still quite incomplete, in Basic and Advanced web admin modes.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup the router after you applied this version of FW? 

Screen captures of what your seeing would be helpful. 

What Browser are you using? 

@Tonkinite wrote:

After updating to this firmware and enabling WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode, I was surprised that several mobile devices started to complain that my network was hidden, despite SSID Broadcast being enabled on all bands. On performing a WiFi scan, I found that the Guest networks were up and running in hidden mode despite never being enabled. On a hunch I initialized all the Guest networks with non default values, left them disabled, and restarted. The primary SSIDs were no longer hidden and the guest SSIDs were no longer present. Weird.

There still seems to be no obvious means to set the DHCP lease interval, packet tracing on previous builds suggest those builds were using a default value equivalent to 24 hours. I suspect this is still the case with this build. A 24 hour lease time is a fine default for a commercial environment, but Apple and Google both recommend a default of 8 hours for non commercial use. If anyone knows of a means to either view or change the lease interval, that'd be appreciated. A too long lease interval can result in a DHCP request being refused, resulting in a device not receiving an IP address. This might not be an issue in environments with a few handfuls of devices, but is a significant issue in setups with many dozens of devices.

Many of the help screens are still quite incomplete, in Basic and Advanced web admin modes.

Message 7 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

No, I didn’t factory reset the router before this issue. Does the router factory reset itself when it auto updates it’s own firmware? I can’t recall any instances where factory reseting resolved issues like this, and I’ve owned Netgear routers for over five years.

I took very few screenshots of the problem while it was happening, I suspect that it is related to the guest networks being in default state. I’m just reporting the issue in case someone else has something similar happen. I did take a few showing the hidden network warning on iOS.

I used the Safari browser on macOS Monterey, I hope Netgear QA is testing browsers other that Edge or Chrome. I’m not sure how that’s relevant in this instance.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a reset and also try Firefox or Opera browser on Mac. 

I'll check this as well with mine. Also use Monterey as well. 

Message 9 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

If the original issue with SSID broadcast reoccurs, other weirdness, or signs of instability occur,  I’ll reset the router. Setting values for the guest networks resolved the problem, they were greyed out defaults previously.

Right now, I’m more interested in the DHCP lease time issue, older Netgear routers such as the R9000 and similar ones have the ability to set lease time, but RAX series ones don’t. It’s an odd omission.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I checked mine yesterday. Set Guest Network to enabled for a 3 radios. With and with out smart connect on the main WLAN and rebooting he router each time resulted in seeing correct SSIDs enabled. Disabled GN and rebooted. Main LAN SSIDs were good. 

Possible that lease time is all automatic now and NG probably set a specific time lease. We see this on most newer FW and newer products. Orbi as well. 

Message 11 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

I’m sure there’s a default lease time, there has to be when the router handles DHCP, but as I’ve mentioned, a lease time of 24 hours isn’t appropriate for a non commercial setup. What ends up happening is the DHCP service starts to refuse connects, the device ends up getting a non functional APIPA address instead, and can’t connect to the normal network, and the device correctly shows that it can’t connect to the internet.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Even with IP address reservations? 

@Tonkinite wrote:

I’m sure there’s a default lease time, there has to be when the router handles DHCP, but as I’ve mentioned, a lease time of 24 hours isn’t appropriate for a non commercial setup. What ends up happening is the DHCP service starts to refuse connects, the device ends up getting a non functional APIPA address instead, and can’t connect to the normal network, and the device correctly shows that it can’t connect to the internet.

Message 13 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

It shouldn’t, those IPs should be reserved when the DHCP process on the router starts up, and reads in the assignment table.

The problems arise when you have significant numbers of mobile devices which potentially may have either an unobscured MAC address or an obscured MAC address depending on whether the Private WiFi Address feature is enabled or not.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya and thats a Apple thing. Noticed that as well after they came out with that. I wish they gave a bit more infomation regarding. WiFI Private Address is mainly needed when your travling or away from home and using guest networks while away from home. It's not need IMO while at home. I keep mine disabled at home. 

Message 15 of 17
Tonkinite
Luminary

Not just an Apple thing, Android phones have had this feature since Android 10.

Apple and Google have similar recommendations on handling of WiFi networks for partly this reason, a DHCP lease time of 8 hours for non Guest networks, and a lease time of only 1 hour for Guest networks.

Apple WiFi Recommendations

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements