× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Rax80 MAJOR Problems!!

mattocaster
Guide

New Rax80 MAJOR Problems!!

Hi! Just bouth the new Rax80 and set it up this friday with latest software. I have major problems. The Iphones loses internet, they detect the network and have full coverage but internet doesn't work. Sometimes it helps if I make the iphone forget the network and reconnect, now even that doesn's work. It works on my mac computer. The apple TV have some problems and Playstation 4 also have problems. Both 2400khz and 5000 have the ptoblems and both if I use "smart connect" and not.

How do I revert the firmware and to what version should I rewert?

Message 1 of 27

@mattocaster wrote:

How do I revert the firmware and to what version should I rewert?

There is support for the RAX80, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>RAX80 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

There is a library of firmware there. Take your pick.

The release notes explain how to install it.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It may help to reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 2 of 27
mattocaster
Guide

Hi! I have 1.0.1.58 installed. I have reseted to factory default and have to wait and see how it turns out. 

Message 3 of 27

Good luck.

If it does not work, out, come back with detailed descriptions of those "problems".

Message 4 of 27
mattocaster
Guide

Ok that didn’t work at all. What do i do now? A restore didn’t work. What happens is that wireless network Lise internet. I can connect all devices wireless with full network connection but Internet is dead, can’t egen connect to the Netgear App!
Message 5 of 27

Did you ever mention the modem in the network?

Message 6 of 27
mattocaster
Guide

I have the Rax80 connected to fiber on the wall, is that box the modem? Before i used a Time Capsule and never had a problem, only bad range. The problem must be the router, the Rax80. The network seems to work and i can connect without problem, but the problem seems to be that it can’t transfer wireless data, internet don’t work and my Netgear iPhone App can’t connect to the router. Somriges it work but mostly not as IF right now. Have to get this working or else i have to returen the router and but something else.
Message 7 of 27

@mattocaster wrote:
I have the Rax80 connected to fiber on the wall, is that box the modem?

Yes. I was trying to rule out the possibility of having a modem/router in front of the router, a great way to screw up a network. It would be one explanation for the on/off nature.

You say that the network works, does that mean that wired stuff can connect to the Internet? Is it just the wifi that blows up?

These RAX boxes are new and people have had more than their fair share of trouble. They seem to be the subject of a very public beta test with paying users.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about them. Maybe the other messages in this section will offer some clues.

Or take it back and get a more proven technology. As yet it seems that there isn't much that supports the RAX wifi technology.

Message 8 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI @mattocaster - If you recently purchased the device, we recommend contacting our Support Team to utilize your complimentary support: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 9 of 27
mattocaster
Guide

I returned the Rax80  and got myself the linksys velop instead, works perfect!

Message 10 of 27
Ahkim2000
Aspirant

Are you using the smart WiFi feature? If so, turn it off. Rename your WiFi connections separately 2.4 and 5ghz respectively. Finally, connect your iPhones to the 5ghz WiFi channel. I’m not sure why but iPhones will not stay connected to the 2.4 ghz channel. Even though 2.4 is recommended for non-stationery WiFi devices.
Message 11 of 27
BigDonny
Initiate

I need some help here on this.  I have the same problem with my router.  The WiFi crapped out.  I can't even log into the router as it times out.  This just started 2 days ago.  The router functions on the wired Ethernet side only, as that is how I'm able to submit this response.  I just updated the latest firmware in the past month or so and I don't recall what version it is.  I can ping the router, but like I said I can't get into the GUI to do anything.  Pressing the WiFi button on the top of the unit does nothing.  I've had this thing maybe 6 months, I can't beleive that it crapped out already.

Thoughts???

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 27

@BigDonny wrote:

Thoughts???

Start a new discussion with the details of your own circumstances.

You have joined in on an existing conversation. It started three months ago ansd may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

By all means link to this discussion.But  if you do start your own thread, please provide some of the details requested in earlier messages. Your modem, for example.

@BigDonny wrote:

I've had this thing maybe 6 months, I can't beleive that it crapped out already.

I agree. So, let's start from scratch.

Message 13 of 27
Clibert
Star

Same. iPhone will not stay connected. Has worked with every router I have owned except this out of free coverage junk. Netgear CM1000 to RAX80 to devices. Every device struggles to stay connected (android phones, windows laptop, Mac laptop, and iPhones). They will constantly drop, have slow speed, poor coverage in a small apartment and when it tries to reconnect it will say password is invalid. Tonight so bad I am using the open xfinity WiFi of a neighbor. Total overpriced garbage and I can’t do anything with it I am stuck with it
Message 14 of 27
PirateGee
Initiate

Problems is Right! Paying Beta Testers huh? my first issue was \\Readyshare devices after my 3rd solution I completely lost internet, just after removing all the windows updates from the past 48 hours. Reinstalled the updates with the new router in place not old that seem to resolve the USB devices in Readyshare able to map network drive now. Next I could not get see the device nor the wifi on. I found that I have an Intel 7260 wifi that shuts of wifi intermittenly with the latest driver version 18.x. I did a roll back to 17.x and It's working great now. If I get a couple days stable then I'm happy, good luck.

Message 15 of 27
Billamm
Aspirant

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say;

"They seem to be the subject of a very public beta test with paying users"

Can you elaborate?

Message 16 of 27
PirateGary
Aspirant

Those are not my words, something from another OP, Perhaps I'll " " next time and leave OP name? Have a wonderful day! If you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask. Understand now?

Message 17 of 27
garangdhav
Aspirant

Are you using the smart WiFi feature? If so, turn it off. Rename your WiFi connections separately 2.4 and 5ghz respectively. Finally, connect your iPhones to the 5ghz WiFi channel.
Message 18 of 27
PirateGee
Initiate

Re: New Rax 80 MAJOR Problems!!

I didn't happen to like or enable this feature. Is there a specific reason or what make it a "Major Problem"? WHY?

Message 19 of 27
sgfrankman
Initiate

I bought this wireless router since it launch also have incompatible problem, contracted the customer service also can't help so much. After one year still hear user still have incompatible problem haven't resolved, what is the point of buying new technolgy that cannot help us, asking us to turn this off turn that off that cannot use the new technolgy?  And want us user to change to change all old devices at house to make it compatible? I have dump this router inside my capboard maybe use it as door stopper

Message 20 of 27
namatta
Aspirant

I had major problems for a few weeks. I almost gave up and returne dthe router and extender.  I finakly was able to set it up with settings that work really well...so well that I bought a second extender to give coverage to my garage.  Here's what worked for me in the advanced settings:

Check "Enable implicit beamforming..."

Check "Enable MU-MIMO"

Uncheck "Enable AX..."

Unchecking enable AX was not what I had hoped for. But, it fixed my problems.

Message 21 of 27
mjc775
Star

@namatta wrote:

I had major problems for a few weeks. I almost gave up and returne dthe router and extender.  I finakly was able to set it up with settings that work really well...so well that I bought a second extender to give coverage to my garage.  Here's what worked for me in the advanced settings:

Check "Enable implicit beamforming..."

Check "Enable MU-MIMO"

Uncheck "Enable AX..."

Unchecking enable AX was not what I had hoped for. But, it fixed my problems.

What firmware version are you using? What were the problems that you were experiencing?

Message 22 of 27
depaula
Initiate

i too have a neatgear rax80 router.  it is also fairly new.  it has now stopped working.  it looks like it is ok, but no internet.  i confirmed that the fios is working.  i reset the rax80 and still no internet over wifi.  i reset it several times.  i unplugged it overnight and reset it.  it does not work.  i plugged in my old router and it works great. (not a neatgear).  I have had problems with this router in the past.  very troublsome router.  i will not purchase neatgear again.

Message 23 of 27
wcotthi602
Aspirant

There is nothing worse thatn spending the money to buy a new expensive device then having to spend all your time troubleshooting problems when the manufacturer could have done better quality testing to solve the problems before putting it on the market. I love electronics!

Message 24 of 27

@wcotthi602 wrote:

There is nothing worse thatn spending the money to buy a new expensive device then having to spend all your time troubleshooting problems when the manufacturer could have done better quality testing to solve the problems before putting it on the market. I love electronics!

This is particularly true of new technologies. They need extra care and extensive testing. Sadly, the reports of the RAX range are universally poor on that front.

This really is a case of sitting in your hands until they have sorted things out. It isn't called bleeding edge technology for nothing.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7