× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Router no Cable hook up?

mjm72
Aspirant

New Router no Cable hook up?

Hello,

I could use some help here, I bought a NightHawk AX6 6 Stream WiFi Router Model # RAX50. So I thoguht I could just plug it in and good to go, but when I went to do so I seen it had no cable hook up on it like my all in one router has from the Internet company I use. So my question is how do I hook this up? Is there something that I need to buy to plug in the cable from the wall then out to the new router? The way my home is set up is I use an all in one router from the compay I pay for phone,internet and cable.

The router Model # did not show up in the list.

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New Router no Cable hook up?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

This router connects to a modem or ONT or can connect to a modem with built in router, however if that the case, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

Message 2 of 5
mjm72
Aspirant

Thank you for the fast reply but I beleave that you missed what I am asking. As it sits I have an all in one modem/router from the internet company I use. I want to get ride of it and use the one I bought ( AX6) however the AX6 does not have a Cable hook up on the back of it. But I think now I know what Im mssing the (Modem?) I think I need to go back to the internet company and ask for just a Modem? Im trying to get better quality and speed from a firestick I am now using and ditch my cable company. Also any recomodation on a better Moden then what my internet provider will maybe give me?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

The RAX50 is a router only device. If you're wanting a modem/router combo device, that'd be the CAX series of devices. Or C**** series. And you'd need to check with your ISP if their compatable with your service. 

Or you could simple buy a modem seperate from your router. That's the route I'd recommend as then you control the firmware. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No I understood. 

You'll need to contact your ISP to see what user bought modems will work on there system. The RAX needs a modem/ONT interface to get internet services. So NGs CM series of cable modems are modem only units which can work with the RAX router. Just need to check with your ISP if they support these models on there network. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

There maybe a possiblity that your ISP modem can work in modem only mode and then you could still use that modem with the RAX router. As a alternative option. Something to ask your ISP about. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7