× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware released RAX80 1.0.1.58

SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

New firmware released RAX80 1.0.1.58

Manually checked for new firmware and was plesantly suprised there was a new version 1.0.1.58. So far so good!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I discovered some bugs with this firmware I had to roll back to 1.0.1.56

#1 Whenever my cable modem renewed it's DHCP lease it would cause the WAN on the router to disconnect and disconnect my ethernet devices. They do reconnect but you can see the connection time was restarted in the status screen.

#2 Whenever Apple Watch Series 3 GPS/Cellular would connect to the 2G wireless connection the router would reboot. 

Message 2 of 21
sui
Tutor
Tutor

1.0.1.58 is really has bug,I can't enter the router interface after I update it for 1 hour.
To restart, the router can enter the interface first.

Message 3 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM,

#1 - Does this happen on all wired devices? Would you mind providing the type of devices that were disconnecting.

#2 - What version of watchOS is your watch on? 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

#1 Devices plugged into the LAN Ethernet (1) Vonage VOIP Telephone Adaptor (2) Verizon Wireless Samsung LTE Network Extender 2 (3) AppleTV 4K (4) XBOX ONE S. Yes all the devices disconnect because the LAN ports connection reset when the WAN connection resets. This only seems to happen on the 1.0.1.58 firmware. The internet connection is stable on 1.0.1.56

#2 WatchOS 5.2.1

#3 I also experienced issues connecting to the router GUI using “routerlogin.net” had to use 192.168.1.1 to access the router. 

Message 5 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM, 

Thanks for confirming. How often did issue #1 occur and how long would it take for the devices to reconnect? May you also provide the model number of your cable modem. As for #2, I'll report to engineering and provide an update as soon as possible. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

#1 Cable modem is DOCSIS 3.1 "Technicolor E31T2V1" on the GIG plan with Spectrum. The WAN would reset once every 4 hours. I am guessing whenever the cable modem went to renew it's DHCP lease. The devices would reconnect instantly once the WAN had internet connectivity. When the WAN connection was reset it would also reset the LAN connections. This can be seen under up time in the statistics of internet port under "ADVANCED"

Message 7 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM, 

I'd like for support to get in contact for further investigation on the latest firmware. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number. 

~Christian 

Message 8 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Things are stable for now with 1.0.1.56. I have an uptime of 3 days with no disconnection of WAN and LAN. I do not want to troubleshoot 1.0.1.58 further. I will wait it out and hopefully the next firmware release will not have the same bugs as 1.0.1.58. 

Message 9 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM - Please feel free to reach out to me with any further questions.

~Christian 

Message 10 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Decided to give 1.0.1.58 another chance. So far so good. The Apple Watch issue does not seem to occur anymore. When the WAN connection resets no longer resets the LAN connection. The WAN connection still does reset at random intervals but could just be issues with my connection but this did not occur on 1.0.1.56. However, one of the main reasons I upgraded is I get better throughput on 5 GHz wireless which I noticed with 1.0.1.58. 

Message 11 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SAM_the_GAM - Thanks for the update. Feel free to provide ensuing feedback regarding the firmware. 

~Christian 

Message 12 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Had to rollback to 1.0.1.56 again. With 1.0.1.58 Apple Watch connecting to 2 GHz network still reboots router. Can’t reach routerlogin.net reliably have to use 192.168.1.1 or have to reboot router to access GUI again. Another issue I discovered is in the Nighthawk app for iOS on iPad the 2 GHz and 5 GHz networks both bands are combined under wireless. On 1.0.1.56 each band is listed separately. 

Message 13 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM - Are you able to confirm the Apple watch is connecting on the 2.4 band through the GUI? Feel free to let me know if you'd like to get in contact with support.

~Christian 

Message 14 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Yes the Apple Watch is connecting to the 2.4 band. I upgraded to 1.0.1.58 again because I am getting better speeds with it compared to 1.0.1.56. I assigned a DHCP reservation for the Apple Watch so far when Apple Watch joins it does not cause router to reboot.

Message 15 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I tried 1.0.1.58 for a week. Christian do you know if Netgear is working on the next release of firmware? Is there a beta available? I had to roll back to 1.0.1.56. After a week of uptime with 1.01.58 all my devices failed to connect and I had to reboot the router. But one of the issues with 1.0.1.58 is LAN devices disconnecting and reconnecting and WAN resets periodically throughout the day did not give me very reliable internet. 

Message 16 of 21
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SAM_the_GAM, 

At this time we do not have a definitive date on the next firmware release. We would still like to work with your directly to help investigate the issues you're experiencing. If interested, please send me a message with your contact info. 

~Christian 

Message 17 of 21
amercen
Aspirant

I am also having an issue with the RAX80 resetting LAN connections. But mine only occurs when I try joining an Xbox Live Party on my Xbox One X. I researched the issue and it apparently is an issue on some gaming routers, but it does not list the RAX80 as one of the problem routers. The only solution so far is to turn off "Instant-On" mode on the Xbox, but that is inconvenient. I also heard putting a switch between the Xbox and the router should help as well, but I have not tried that yet.
Message 18 of 21
Scrubbs
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issues regarding my LAN devices being disconnected when my WAN connection does a DHCP renewal. It just happened about 10 minutes ago. My lease is for 1 day, the lease lasts 23 hours and 50 minutes and my statistics page shows my LAN only being for 10 minutes. Something is going on. I had this happening back in 1.0.1.56 as well, though. This, or something else messing with my connection. I was happy for 1.0.1.58 because I hoped it would fix it, but alas ... Well at least I know what's causing it now. Happens throughout the day, even though my lease should be good for 24 hours and it shouldn't need to renew it every few hours.

Message 19 of 21
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

I didn't encounter the WAN / LAN disconnection problem until 1.0.1.58. I did not encounter this issue in 1.0.1.56 which I downgrade to. You can try downgrade to 1.0.1.40

Message 20 of 21
Scrubbs
Aspirant

Well, I can't be sure what was causing it back in .56. I'd rather they just fix the .58 problem because it's what I'm experiencing now (nothing else really wrong). 😄 If they could do that, I would be happy.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7