× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New installation a Night Hawk XR500

1set
Aspirant

New installation a Night Hawk XR500

I just bought this new router for gaming primarily console games. I am a bit confused of how to set this up. My old router uses the Strait telephone line, But the nighthawk does not have a port for a telephone line only for a ethernet connection. Am I missing something how do I resolve this issue?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

the XR500 is strictly a router. It doesn't have a modem or dsl modem in it. If you're old one did, then you'll need that. I'd check with your isp to see what they support for modem or dsl modems. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the XR500 is strictly a router. It doesn't have a modem or dsl modem in it. If you're old one did, then you'll need that. I'd check with your isp to see what they support for modem or dsl modems. 

Message 2 of 12
1set
Aspirant

So I'd need a separate modem that is jus a modem?
Message 3 of 12

@1set wrote:
So I'd need a separate modem that is jus a modem?

Yes.

You need a "modem only" device that works on your Internet service. It could be cable, DSL or something else. Your ISP can tell you.That you had a phone on the same line suggest that it might be DSL.

For cable Internet, Netgear's CMXXX stuff is what to look for, not the CXXXX cable modem/router.

Cable Modems | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

For DSL it is DMXXX not DXXXX, which is a DSL modem/router.

Pretty well the only DSL choice worth considering is the DM200.

What did you have before the XR500? There's a chance that you can put that in "modem only" mode.

But a modem only box is probably better. They aren't expensive and will let you get the most of out the XR500. Experienced users prefer separate modems and routers.

Message 4 of 12
1set
Aspirant

I was using the telephone company router which has work fairly good but it drops wifi signal very randomly & it doesn't have the best speed for gaming
Message 5 of 12
1set
Aspirant

The CM1200 looks ok will that give me the best results?
Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

CM1200 is a cable modem. Are you cable or dsl? As stated by @michaelkenward the CM series are cable internet and the DM series are for dsl. Check with your isp provider to see what they support

Message 7 of 12

@1set wrote:
The CM1200 looks ok will that give me the best results?

What is this telephone company router? The make and model number would tell us what service you are on. As yet that is still unknown.

Message 8 of 12
1set
Aspirant

Ok looking for DM200 now thanks
Message 9 of 12
1set
Aspirant

I'm going with the dm 200 I see where its compatible with my ISP thanks again
Message 10 of 12
1set
Aspirant

I have DSL ADSL2. My ISP company says my current router is on recall & there sending me a new one. I dont think there really up to snuff when it comes to gaming I'm still purchasing a DM200 modem
Message 11 of 12

When you do get the DM200, remember to put it into modem only mode. Out of the box it does some basic "routering". The quick start guide takes you through the process.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7