× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New rax28 router. Password not accepted on kindle and other wifi devices. Help please.

dchadduck
Aspirant

New rax28 router. Password not accepted on kindle and other wifi devices. Help please.

New rax28 router. Password not accepted on kindle and other wifi devices. Help please. How do I find or reset password. I wrote it down when installation asked for it. Thanks

Message 1 of 6
dchadduck
Aspirant

Re: New rax28 router. Password not accepted on kindle and other wifi devices. Help please.

Please never mind. Sound of hand slapping forehead! DOH!

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: New rax28 router. Password not accepted on kindle and other wifi devices. Help please.

what fixed it just in case someone else has the same head slapping issue?

Message 3 of 6
dchadduck
Aspirant

Install instructions say to download app on your phone. I won't pay a thousand plus just for a smart phone so no app and no smart phone and only this computer available. Did not get screen from Netgear allowing log in to their site only for set up instructions. Neither Chrome nor Edge allowed internet access. Called my son who figured out/remembered how to log in to Netgear hopefully if the new router allowed it. It did and then set up instructions appeared. It used to be that the instructions included this and automatically took you to the set up screen,  but no longer. It appears they figure everyone has the ability to download apps. I sent their tech support my thoughts on the subject but haven't heard back yet.

Message 4 of 6

@dchadduck wrote:

It used to be that the instructions included this and automatically took you to the set up screen,  but no longer. It appears they figure everyone has the ability to download apps.

Thanks for that feedback. As @plemans says it could help future victims of Netgear's dunderhead way of doing things.

You are not the first, and won't be the last, to hit that brick wall.

This is horribly frustrating. The old approach does still work, but Netgear in its wisdom hides that information and pushes everyone to the "set up for idiots" method with apps.

The manuals are more informative even though Netgear no longer provides them in the box.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

I used to advise people to begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide. But that now pushed the app approach.

The daft bit is that using an app to control a device actually deprives users of some useful controls.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can still set it up using the browser based method. 

Its just a bit of a challenge. when you get to the page where it says "netgear recommends setting up with the app"

you scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a "i don't have a compatible smart phone" option. 

Thats the main way I setup devices. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7