× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Night Hawk RAX120

DeaconDK
Aspirant

Night Hawk RAX120

Just lost all original, secure settings...been seemlessly running since Dec 2019. The last few days I began to periodically lose internet connection. I thought it was issues with my internet provider but all testing from my provider indicated no outages and clear access to my internet modem.

I rebooted both the modem and RAX120 and all worked fine...for awhile...then the same thing would occured. I rebooted both again and all worked fine but the problem occured with greater frequency until this afternoon. Again I rebooted both the modem and the RAX120 and received a notice from one of my background running softwares that it did not recognize the certicate on the router. I checked the Night Hawk phone app and it indictated that the router had not been setup.

Why would this suddenly happen? Could it be that some "hacked" into the router? Could it be an issue with this router? Should I completely reset the router and set it up again the same info or should I rename everything?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? (please don't say the latest)

The RAX devices are pretty new. potentially it could be a firmware issue and either a upgrade or downgrade is needed. 

Message 2 of 17
DeaconDK
Aspirant

Message 3 of 17
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Reset the router using the rear pin hole method and set it up as new. Do not use a saved config.

the chances are you have auto update on and firmwares been updated and there's a corruption issue. Resets solve this and you might want to turn auto update off and just check manually so you are aware next time the router updates.

Message 4 of 17
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

There's a hot fix out, install this and reset the router afterwards.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx

Message 5 of 17
FelizComidas
Guide

@DeaconDK did you get everything fixed and up and running? 

I had the same exact issue, been scouring the internet for people with similar issues. Was having issues, it did a factory reset. I couldn't connect, opened up nighthawk app and was prompted to do a setup. Was continually having issue of rebooting, but now every time I reboot, it gets factory reset - if I turn off then on, it prompts to setup again (and resets to default name of NETGEARXX). With working remote, I've had to switch back to my old airport extreme for stability currently and trying to mess with the RAX120 when I have time. About to give up on it though, I'm not sure what to do.

Ever since I got the RAX120 in October, the internet speed would be fine for about a day (getting the full 1 gig down), and then it would drop to 20 mbps, and if I restarted, would go back up to gig. That was already completely annoying to begin with (having smarthub, etc hooked up to something you have to reboot once a day), but these new issues are making me re-think the nighthawk router alltogether, it's currently basically useless since every restart results in a factory reset.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 17
welchyboy
Star

Same issue with me! Super frustrating!
Message 7 of 17
FelizComidas
Guide

I updated to the hot fix maybe 4 hours ago, internet and wifi has been up since, but not sure if it will factory resent again if it's rebooted...really hoping not. Will update either way if it continues to work or run into more issues.

Has anyone else had the issue with internet speeds drastically dropping after a day or so, and then jumping back up once the router is rebooted? (not a modem problem).

Message 8 of 17
welchyboy
Star

Fyi I read something about a DNS issue...so while my wifi was having issues I changed the default router dns to 8.8.8.8. Which is google and instantly my wifi was back up and all devices without rebooting. It has only been a few hours but hopefully it is a good temp fix.
Message 9 of 17
FelizComidas
Guide

@welchyboy wrote:
Fyi I read something about a DNS issue...so while my wifi was having issues I changed the default router dns to 8.8.8.8. Which is google and instantly my wifi was back up and all devices without rebooting. It has only been a few hours but hopefully it is a good temp fix.

Thanks! I went ahead and changed to the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Hoping maybe this will help..would be really nice to have stable and consistent wifi for a non-entry level router...

Message 10 of 17
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@FelizComidas wrote:

@welchyboy wrote:

Thanks! I went ahead and changed to the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Hoping maybe this will help..would be really nice to have stable and consistent wifi for a non-entry level router...

Have you done a reset at all using the rear pin hole method?

Message 11 of 17
welchyboy
Star

Well unfortunately the dns change only worked for a little while. I woke up this morning to an internet issue which was again resolved by rebooting the router. It has been a while since I have reset with the pin...i guess I can try that as well.

Message 12 of 17
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Do the reset, DNS is only solving as it's rebooting at that point hence why it's not working.

Message 13 of 17
FelizComidas
Guide

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Do the reset, DNS is only solving as it's rebooting at that point hence why it's not working.

I’ll try pin hole reset later. I’m not having any connectivity issues in the last 24 hours, but the speed dropped from 800 mbps+ down to 20 after about 12 hours (so same problem I've had since I bought and set it up in October), rebooted from web and it went back up. So I have stable connections now (the 118 update seemed to fix that) but I still have the speed drop issue after 12+ hours (same problem for last 6 months, prior to the spontaneous factory reset).

Message 14 of 17
LeeH
Prodigy

I had the same issues.  Went through weeks of talking to Netgear, MSI and RIvet Networks.  Tried everything.   Started using 108 FW on the router and it is the best so far.  I will wait for something better to be released before changing FW again for the 30th time.

Message 15 of 17
FelizComidas
Guide

@LeeH wrote:

I had the same issues.  Went through weeks of talking to Netgear, MSI and RIvet Networks.  Tried everything.   Started using 108 FW on the router and it is the best so far.  I will wait for something better to be released before changing FW again for the 30th time.

To confirm, did you have the speed slowdown issues, but moving to 108 FW fixed that issue? If so, I may have to try that today, see if any benefit.

Message 16 of 17
FiatNox
Aspirant

Factory reset didn’t help for me. There are multiple threads on this forum that are all devoted to this same problem that randomly popped up in March. Clearly a widespread issue. Wish Netgear would address it.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7