× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk Ax4 WiFi 6 Router Question

patrickbedgood
Apprentice

NightHawk Ax4 WiFi 6 Router Question

I am having trouble connecting my Surface laptop and desktop PC to the 5GHz wireless band on my router. My iphone 11 connects just fine with incredible speeds. My laptop and desktop both connect with no internet but I am able to connect both to the 2.4GHz band just fine. I am testing channel 40 with 2400Mbps enabled at 75% power. Does anyone have any recommendations as to why these devices are unable to connect? I am also using WPA2-PSK encryption type.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I forgot to also mention that I have ATT Fiber internet and I am bypassing the provided ATT BGW 210 gateway. I have a 1 gig POE switch between the ONT connection and Night Hawk gateway.

Thanks

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 5

@patrickbedgood wrote:

My iphone 11 connects just fine with incredible speeds. My laptop and desktop both connect with no internet but I am able to connect both to the 2.4GHz band just fine.

Sort of suggests that the problem lies with the laptop and desktop. The wifi is doing what it is supposed to do.

If these are Windows machines, start there. Give the Internet troubleshooter a shot.

Maybe you need to tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I am told that this is rubbish on my part, I can only say that it worked for me and has bailed out other people. But what do we know?

Message 3 of 5
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Yes i am also using private network from my Surface laptop. I did find out that Microsoft Surface devices including Surface laptops do have known issues with their MARVELL wireless driver builds. There have been times where I uninstalled the latest driver package, rebooted the surface, then the internet started working. It is sporadic, there are times when I am connected and working just fine and the connection just drops. I prefer to use the 5GHz wireless channel on my laptops and ipads/Apple TV if possible. Both of my boys have PS4 systems that tear up the 2.4GHZ wireless band. Firmware is 1.0.3.64_1.0.0.13   Is there a newer firmware release for the RAX40 since we are half way through 2020?

Message 4 of 5
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Another very important topic I should mention, this EXPRESSIF connection does not work with this Netgear router. This is a Smart by Bond wireless fan controller, 4 speed controller that can be purchased from the home depot. It just happens that my recent smart fan purchase came bundled with this device. I had to install my new fan and install this wireless controller into my existing fan wiring because it has an antenna and broadcasts with an IP address. Anytime I try to use the Bond mobile app to control my fan lights or change the fan speed, it crashes my wireless internet devices including my Apple TV stream, Ring devices, and Smart Things First Alert ZWAVE COMBO SMOKE and CARBON MONOXIDE wireless device. I found where another user had the same issue and it appears to be the hand shake process after connecting via bluetooth to configure the bond device inside the mobile app. It only supports the 2.4GHz band but after it finally pairs and produces an IP address, if you launch the Bond app from mobile device and try to toggle the lights or fan, it immediately crashes all wireless connected devices. My kids start screaming because they are always on PS4 systems. I opened a case with home depot consumer affairs and they could not allow me to return the universal 4 speed fan controller because it came bundled with the fan (Hampton bay). After days of working through this issue, I reverted back to my ATT Arris BGW210 gateway and it worked flawlessly with my new fan and controller. Now, because I want to use the Netgear router, I have to disable this devices IP address from broadcasting on the network otherwise it will wreak Havic on my wireless network and its a 10 minute process to get things stable again. I really thought it was interesting to learn that I was not the only person having this issue. Had Home Depot allowed me to, I would have returned this controller and taken the $59.99 and put that money towards the Bond Smart puck device that does not require you hard wire to your ceiling fan. Since this IP address is blocked in my access control list, we now just operate the fan using the remote control only.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assis...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7