× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk connection issues with Xbox and printers

SanaNe
Tutor

NightHawk connection issues with Xbox and printers

System: RAX80; Nighthawk is the single router and only connection to the modem; all devices are connected to Nighthawk only

Modem: BGW210-700 (AT&T DSL -- yeah, sucks, but the only decent option where I live)

Devices with connection problem:

1) Xbox 360 (which used to connect to my old netgear router + different modem)

2) Two printers, Lexmark and Brother, both recent purchases. Can update this post with the model numbers if helpful.

3) Issues with other laptops and desktop connections [every now and then, a guest would come to our place, and their laptop would not connect to the router, or our dektop intermittently drops connection. Think #3 might be irrelevant / harder to resolve, but adding here as additional information just in case some folks might see relevance]

Issues:

1) Xbox does not connect to the router. Tried to use static IP, circumvent the MAC filtering issue (yes, "Turn Access Control" is on), and both wired and wireless connection. I see the manual IP on both devices, i.e. my netgear routerlogin.net, but the two do not connect.

One hint: Netgear does not seem to detect the wired connection even though I see the wireless connection (i.e. I do not see xbox wired connection listed in netgear routerlogin.net portal or the app). Not sure if this rings a bell.

2) Both printers have connection issues. They keep turning "offline" after the first install even though I see them listed in Netgear. In order to get it to work again, I have to remove the printer drivers and reinstall for them to turn online.

I assigned static IP as well. It first seemed to have worked for Brother (but not for Lexmark), but Brother connection failed again (turned "offline") after we had to boot the power in the house. The problem seems to be either me, Netgear or modem (or a combination), but not the printers.

I have 15 other devices properly connected to the router and functioning fine (laptops, phones, apple tv, alexa). I have the latest driver updates for netgear and printers.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: NightHawk connection issues with Xbox and printers

@SanaNe wrote:

System: RAX80; Nighthawk is the single router and only connection to the modem; all devices are connected to Nighthawk only

Modem: BGW210-700 (AT&T DSL -- yeah, sucks, but the only decent option where I live)

That looks supisciously like a modem router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches, including those you list. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
rinthos
Luminary

Not sure what firmware version you are using and if you did a factory reset after upgrading (I know, shouldn't have to..but welcome to Netgear)...

A few questions though..if you turn off Device Access Control / Turn off the Allow List feature, does everything work as expected?

My guess..when your Printers go into 'sleep mode', the router cannot identify them and thus they get booted.  Perhaps similar for the xBox? If you can try out the above suggestion and see if that feature is the culprit?

Message 2 of 6
SanaNe
Tutor

Thanks! Firmware version is V1.0.3.88_1.0.41.

Just to make sure I'm taking the right action, do you mean factory resetting the RAX80 router or the other device (xbox / printer)? It seems I'd lose the new firmware if I go back to original settings. So, please let me know.

For the access control on/off swtiching, I had not seen any issue, but will try again and report back here.

Message 3 of 6

@SanaNe wrote:

That looks supisciously like a modem router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches, including those you list. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 6
SanaNe
Tutor

Right on. It looks like Double NAT was the root cause, even though I had turned off the router of the modem when I set up the system (i.e. modem's router was turned off, and the only connection to the modem was RAX80). To get it to work this time, I had to tweak 2 more settings (disabling packet filtering and disabling firewall). The link below helped solve (even though it's written a different netgear router).

https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/

As a follow up to the first recommendation, I think the poster means to reboot (vs. factory reset). Just clarifying here if any other low-tech person like me reads this thread 🙂

Issues seem to have been resolved. I'll report back if I see any problems. I appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6

Some modem/routers are easier to tweak than others.

At least you did not make the fundamental error that crops up here from time to time, when people assume that turning off the wifi disables the router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7