× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 5400

Ksnyder
Aspirant

Nighthawk 5400

Replaced a linksys router with a 5400 and can’t get Dell laptop to see either band as an option. Kept name and password the same as linksys. Everything else in the house connected fine.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk 5400

@Coop102072 wrote:

Would be helpful if you shared what he unchecked as I am having the same issue with my Lenovo and Hp laptops....every other device is fine.

Thanks

I have a feeling he unchecked "enable ax".

many laptops with intel chips have issues. Reason why is people rely on the manufacturer (lenovo/hp) or windows update to update the drivers. And they don't.

If you go to the chip manufacturer website of your wireless card, many times theres newer drivers that have fixed many issues with AX devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

5400 isn't a model

What model did you buy? 

Does this dell laptop have an intel wireless chip in it?

if so, get the driver directly from Intel and not through dell or windows updates. both are far behind and struggling with the newer AX devices. Not sure if you're new router is an AX router as you didn't put the model. 

Message 2 of 10
Ksnyder
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi Router(RAX50S)

Message 3 of 10
Ksnyder
Aspirant

My younger brother (IT guru) came over and logged into the router webpage and there was a setting box checked (not sure which one) but he had never seen it before, unchecked it and was able to connect without any problem after that.

Thanks for any/all of your time!!

Kraig

Message 4 of 10
Coop102072
Aspirant

Would be helpful if you shared what he unchecked as I am having the same issue with my Lenovo and Hp laptops....every other device is fine.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Coop102072 wrote:

Thanks

many laptops with intel chips have issues. Reason why is people rely on the manufacturer (lenovo/hp) or windows update to update the drivers. And they don't.

If you go to the chip manufacturer website of your wireless card, many times theres newer drivers that have fixed many issues with AX devices. 

Message 6 of 10
Coop102072
Aspirant

Thanks!  I started fiddling around before your answer and yes, that did the trick.  Thanks so much.

@plemans wrote:

Message 7 of 10
Ksnyder
Aspirant

Ya.........sorry........I was at work and my wife said, "I don't know, he just unchecked something and it worked"!!

I hadn't had a chance to reach out to him.....

Glad we are both up and running!

K

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Just an FYI, it does disable wireless AX. 

I'd try updating the wireless chip driver in those computers. And then try re-enabling wireless AX. 

if it works, great! If it doesn't,  you can always uncheck it until the manufacturer updates the wireless driver. 

Message 9 of 10
Coop102072
Aspirant

I know... kind of defeats the purpose of getting this router. I did update the Lenovo and will try at end of day, but can't do the HP as that is a work computer and I need the firm to push the update. I'm happy to toggle the button for now.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7