× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 Drops Internet When PS4 Goes Online via Ethernet

SkieStrife
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 Drops Internet When PS4 Goes Online via Ethernet

Can someone explain to me why this $400 router suddenly drops its WAN shortly after my PS4 Pro connects to the internet via Ethernet? EVERY device thats attached to the router will suddenly lose its ability to communicate with the internet shortly after the PS4 comes online. If I keep the Ethernet unplugged, everything remains stable.  My Nintendo Switch (connected to ethernet via USB adapter) doesn't kill this Router, yet my PS4 Pro does?

Once the WAN disconnect happens, it will not return until after the router is rebooted. My previous router, a Nighthawk XR500, also experienced extremely similar issues.

The WAN comes from an Arris SB6190 Cable Modem.

Any help in regards to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

I assume that you have tried this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – PS4 Pro

Until an expert steps in, could it be something to do with the NAT settings?

Message 2 of 10
Rayant4
Aspirant

Mine doesn't disconnect but I'm getting major lag spikes, same thing happened with the x6 r8000
Message 3 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This may sound silly, but have you tried switching out the ethernet cable that is connected to the PS4 and router. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 10
Snipe263
Aspirant

I had the same issue as OP. As soon as I turned on my PS4(5ghz) all other WiFi clients stopped working. Downgrading router firmware fixed it. I just manually uploaded the new firmware and then reset the router. So far so good and I disabled auto update.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10
SkieStrife
Aspirant

Every now and then mine will do the same thing as well. I thought it might've been my VPN (ProtonVPN), but it happens at random regardless of whether not the VPN is active.

Message 6 of 10
SkieStrife
Aspirant

Tried it with several new ethernet cables, including removing my UPS from the equation.  WAN from the cable modem connected directly to the router WAN port. When the PS4 is powered on via ethernet, the WAN will drop either immediately or within 15 minutes on average.  I also had a strange situation the other day where the PS4 stayed online, but every other ethernet connected device dropped (PC & Nintendo Switch).  Again, the situation wouldn't resolve until after the router was rebooted.

Keeping the PS4 on the guest 5Ghz Wifi seems to reduce the occurance of WAN lockout, but I'm also keeping the PS4 off when its not in use and no longer using its Standby feature because I fear the WAN will drop randomly when I'm gaming on the PC or downloading things.

Message 7 of 10
SkieStrife
Aspirant

@Snipe263 wrote:
I had the same issue as OP. As soon as I turned on my PS4(5ghz) all other WiFi clients stopped working. Downgrading router firmware fixed it. I just manually uploaded the new firmware and then reset the router. So far so good and I disabled auto update.

Haven't tried downgrading to a previous firmware yet. I'll give that a shot when I can.

Message 8 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SkiStrife - Please update the thread when you get a chance to perform what Snipe263 suggested. Curious to know how things have turned out. 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 10
Rayant4
Aspirant

I switched ethernet cords and all is well
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation