× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 Link Aggregation Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation. V1.0.1.122

RMDEQ
Star

Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 Link Aggregation Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation. V1.0.1.122

I recently bought a CM1150V and a Nighthawk AX12 RAX120. The Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 always gives me the message "Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation."

I don't think the error is in the CM1150V, because when I put my firewall appliance between the CM1150V and the RAX120, link aggregation to the CM1150V works fine. But, when I put the firewall appliance in, I also get the same message about link aggregation failure from the RAX120. So, the RAX120 fails to perform link aggregation with the device above it regardless of whether the firewall appliance is present.

My firewall appliance reports the physical traffic on each port. I can see that when it is included, only a few KB are ever communicated over the second physical port to the RAX120. I can also see that the traffic from the firewall appliance to the CM1150V looks pretty evenly allocated between the two physical ports.

Please advise.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
RMDEQ
Star

Re: Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 Link Aggregation Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation. V1.0.1.122

Solved.

To do link aggregation with two ports, do not plug your two upstream cables into the two ports labelled on the RAX120 as "Aggregate".

Instead, plug one into "WAN/Internet" and the other into Port 1 (one of the two labelled 'Aggregate')

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RMDEQ,

Thanks for updating your post as it may help others in the future. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
RMDEQ
Star

Last week, I discovered another quirk. Or, maybe to folks doing networking it makes total sense and I'm the one with the quirk.

For reasons that are too long winded to get into, I had to change the RAX120 from being a DHCP server and Router into just being a "Wireless AP" (which I also learned is very different from a "bridge"; my last wifi router was a "bridge" for the same long-winded reason, so I guess the terminology changed since that old wifi router came out)

Guess what? When you change it from Router to Wireless AP, the LA ports MOVE!

To do LA with a RAX120 that is a router, use the WAN Port and Port 1.

To do LA with a RAX120 that is a wireless access point, use Port 1 and Port 2.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7