× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX1800 (RAX10) wifi router

t10bender
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX1800 (RAX10) wifi router

My current set up: Nighthawk AX1800 (RAX10) wifi router, connected to a Netgear wifi cable modem. If I want to add the Mesh 6 system, do i need to:

replace the Mesh 6 router with the existing RAX10 wifi router?

Can I add the new system to the existing set up?

If so, do I connect it to the cable Router?    Or to the RAX10?

Assuming either way, it becomes a completely different Log in point, with its own credentials for logging in?

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX1800 (RAX10) wifi router

How many satellites do you want? 

Reason I ask is if you're only needing one, they make mesh extenders that work well. but if you're needing more than 1, its better to switch to a full mesh system. 

How big is your home? 

You put you have a RAX10 and a cable modem/router device. What cable modem/router is it? 

Message 2 of 13
t10bender
Aspirant

The cable modem is Netgear. The Nighthawk AX1800 router wifi is hooked to it.

Since my post, I ended up connecting the Mesh Router to the Nighthawk wifi router. And created a separate wifi system for the house. Long work around. However, it works......

I want to add one more satellite. I add, I bought 2 of the MK62 box systems from Sam's. 

Soooo......

as noted above, I have a mesh router system set up, and working. Now I'm trying to add the other satellite, that I took from the other 2-piece system. Hence, I will not use the other router except for a doorstop.

Now I cannot get the additional satellite, from the other box, to sync up with my current 2 pc system???? 

Message 3 of 13

@t10bender wrote:

The cable modem is Netgear. The Nighthawk AX1800 router wifi is hooked to it.

As @plemans asks, which cable modem? 

Since my post, I ended up connecting the Mesh Router to the Nighthawk wifi router.

Which Mesh router? An Orbi?

Are the MS60 satellites compatible with whatever it is? They are designed for the MR60 router.

You can just slap together a random selection of routers and satellites, especially in Mesh systems, which rely on coordinated communication between routers and satellites.

Hence, I will not use the other router except for a doorstop.

Or an access point?

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

this guide goes over syncing the satellite to the router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061554/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-6-products

Message 5 of 13
t10bender
Aspirant

So here's what I have:

Netgear Cable Modem

Nighthawk AX1800 RAX10 wifi router

I added an AX1800 MK62 Mesh Router / satellite

I want to add another satellite. So I bought another MK62 2 pack, as it was cheaper than just buying one satellite.

- I want to connect the satellite from that box set to the already put in service MK62 Router. I will bag the extra router for another day.

Message 6 of 13

@t10bender wrote:

So here's what I have:

Netgear Cable Modem

Sigh.

@plemans wrote:

You put you have a RAX10 and a cable modem/router device. What cable modem/router is it? 

Message 7 of 13
t10bender
Aspirant

CM1000-100NAS

Message 8 of 13
t10bender
Aspirant

Sorry. Some of us are construction workers and not computer wizards. Thus........ 

Message 9 of 13

@t10bender wrote:

CM1000-100NAS

OK. That's a standard cable modem only device. Nothing of a router nature to get in the way.

Message 10 of 13

@t10bender wrote:

Sorry. Some of us are construction workers and not computer wizards. Thus........ 

Doubtless your trade has its own set of tools.

Telling someone in your trade that you used a "digger" would probably elicit questions about which digger. There's more than one of them out there.

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

The MR60 and the RAX10 are pretty similar in performance. Using both would just add extra ssid's/interference. 

What I'd do is go 

CM1000---Mr60----->satellites

You can add the extra satellite to the system as needed. I'd hold onto the other MR60 (router) that you have for a backup in case the main one fails. That way you don't have a bunch of useless satellites as they need the controlling router. 

I'd probably sell the RAX10 unless you need it for something else. 

Message 12 of 13
t10bender
Aspirant

Thank you. I had the same thought. Which I may do today.

Yesterday, I did get the second satellite to sync. As long as it was in the same room. I moved it to another outlook in view of the Mr60 and the other satellite, it'd sync. I moved it to where I want it to sit, pretty much unobstructed from the other satellite, and it won't sync up???

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7