× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 WiFi constantly going OFFLINE

KT62
Guide

Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 WiFi constantly going OFFLINE

PURCHASE:  March 2020

HARDWARE: Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 (RAX35)

FIRMWARE: V1.0.3.80_1.0.1

MODEM: Comcast/Xfinity in bridge-mode

NOTE:  Ethernet connected devices will sometimes maintain internet access after the WiFi goes out.

This router is constantly (5+ times/day) going offline and requiring a reboot (power off/on) to get back online and functioning.  There are NO new firmware updates.  I've done a reset of the device, but the performance is the same.  

Any suggestions on diagnosing the problem and/or a resolultion would be appreciated.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
itsmehuey
Luminary

Should have searched the community forums regarding this - there are at least 5 other threads discussing this widespread issue plaguing the RAX40 and so many other RAX products due to faulty firmware. You have to revert to the previous version until Netgear fix the bugs in their firmware. Who knows when they will because they are so slack with support.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When the wifi "goes out" does it say "connected, no internet". Does it not connect at all even though it can see its broadcasting? does it not see the router broadcasting at all? 

You've had this for a while, did this just start? 

have you tried a factory reset and reinstall? there's been quite a few firmware changes on the AX devices and they've responded well to factory resets and reinstalls. 

Message 2 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

Should have searched the community forums regarding this - there are at least 5 other threads discussing this widespread issue plaguing the RAX40 and so many other RAX products due to faulty firmware. You have to revert to the previous version until Netgear fix the bugs in their firmware. Who knows when they will because they are so slack with support.
Message 3 of 19
KT62
Guide

I actually saw all the "factory reset and rollback to earlier versions" posts, but thought I would try a set of config changes that someone posted as a solution - Set the following to OFF: "AX Mode", "QoS", "Beanforming" and "Airtime fairness".  Needless to say, these did not work.

I then did the factory reset and reverted to the prior Firmware Version - V1.0.3.64_1.0.1.  Note, I chose this version even though it said it was for the RAX40 and mine is a RAX35 (I haven't been able to find any informaiton on the difference between these two "models").  After 24 hours, I've not had the WiFi stop working nor have I needed to reboot the WiFi.  

I appreciate your response. -Kyle

Message 4 of 19
sidelined
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. My 12 year old router never dropped the internet.  My iphone 11 keeps saying poor internet connection, while showing me the dreaded circle of death. Streaming TV just turns off.  I was ready to return this thing and plug the old one back in. Thought I'd come on here to see reviews. All I'm seeing for a fix is a factory reset and do not update firmware?  Ready to return it.

Message 5 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

@sidelined wrote:

I'm having the same issue. My 12 year old router never dropped the internet.  My iphone 11 keeps saying poor internet connection, while showing me the dreaded circle of death. Streaming TV just turns off.  I was ready to return this thing and plug the old one back in. Thought I'd come on here to see reviews. All I'm seeing for a fix is a factory reset and do not update firmware?  Ready to return it.

If you've got the ability to return it, do it.. It's not worth your time going through these hoops and hurdles to try and get it working properly when the underlying fault needs to be fixed by Netgear. The only reason why some of us (like myself) have just been pestering Netgear on and on to push them to get a fix out, is because we cannot return it. If I knew I'd run into all these issues from the start, I would have purchased a router from ASUS instead.

Message 6 of 19
KT62
Guide

Factory Reset + Earlier Firmware = FIX

Per my post above, I did the factory reset (make sure you hold the reset button for 30-60 seconds) and then reverted to an earlier firmware and it’s been working perfectly since.

BAD FIRMWARE: V1.0.3.80_1.0.1
GOOD FIRMWARE: V1.0.3.64_1.0.1
Message 7 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

@KT62 wrote:
Factory Reset + Earlier Firmware = FIX

Per my post above, I did the factory reset (make sure you hold the reset button for 30-60 seconds) and then reverted to an earlier firmware and it’s been working perfectly since.

BAD FIRMWARE: V1.0.3.80_1.0.1
GOOD FIRMWARE: V1.0.3.64_1.0.1

No, that is not a fix.. that is a workaround.. A fix is when Netgear actually correct the issues with the firmware that was released (v x.80) as there were new features added as well as other tweaks in that version. They should also remove the .80 firmware version from the website/server as people unaware of said issues, will be downloading it or updating to it not knowing that they're in for the worst ride of their lives...

Message 8 of 19
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

@KT62 

After downgrading to 1.0.3.62 on my RAX35 and disabling AX, I've been up for 14 days. When I was using 1.0.3.80 I had frequent lockups and disconnects.

Message 9 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Eagle-Two wrote:

@KT62 

After downgrading to 1.0.3.62 on my RAX35 and disabling AX, I've been up for 14 days. When I was using 1.0.3.80 I had frequent lockups and disconnects.

yes this is the only workaround for now, until Netgear finally release an updated firmware. On the beta firmware I have not needed to disable AX and it has been working fine for the most part. Hopefully Netgear can hurry the hell up and release the updated firmware for RAX35 and RAX40 to all users. It's been months and months now of issues after issues yet they still have not done anything about it.

Message 10 of 19
Spidey2483
Aspirant

How do you get the beta?
Message 11 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

Contact support. You need to get level 2 support to help with this. If nothing happens get someone from Z Netgear on here to escalate.
Message 12 of 19
greg989988
Aspirant

I have been reading here and in other posts and it seems like the old firmwear version is the way to go.  I can not figure out how to access or download it.  Would anyone have a link or can you direct me to a source? 

Thank you

Message 13 of 19
plemans
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX40.aspx

click downloads. 

Then "view previous versions"

Message 14 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK after weeks and numerous follow ups to my L2 support representative, they finally have another beta for me to test.. RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.10 dated 4th November 2020

I'll be testing and monitoring over the course of the week and will report back my findings and experience with the update.

Message 15 of 19
KT62
Guide

@itsmehuey, I’m curious what your results have been with the latest firmware version. When you have time, can you post to this thread. Thank you. -Kyle
Message 16 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

@KT62 wrote:
@itsmehuey, I’m curious what your results have been with the latest firmware version. When you have time, can you post to this thread. Thank you. -Kyle

Mentioned a couple of times in other threads regarding the same issue, but will mention here too - 

first beta was OK however I did run into 1 initial wifi drop about 10 minutes after installing.

second beta (currently on) has been rock solid for the last month with no drops whatsoever. performance has been good - tested with 3 WIFI6 devices and speeds are great. Both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands working and I've not had to disable anything in my settings.

One thing that I haven't been able to get working though is my new 14TB Western Digital external HDD plugged in through USB. ReadyDLNA works as a media server to stream between network devices/TV/phones/iPads, but I'm unable to get ReadyShare SMB working - ReadyShare shows as "Ready" but you can't see the USB storage device. Not sure if that's an issue with the firmware or just a limitation of ReadyShare. My 4TB Western Digital external SSD worked fine.

Message 17 of 19
KT62
Guide

@itsmehuey,  I really appreciate the timely response.  Are they giving you any indications on when they will GA that version? -Kyle

Message 18 of 19
itsmehuey
Luminary

@KT62 wrote:

@itsmehuey,  I really appreciate the timely response.  Are they giving you any indications on when they will GA that version? -Kyle

No problem.

And no, they have not mentioned anything and are likely not to mention anything at all. Who knows when a public release will be available. Netgear have been rather terrible with this device.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7