× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4: DHCP Not Working - IP not assigned automatically

1appleluvr
Guide

Nighthawk AX4: DHCP Not Working - IP not assigned automatically

So, I have had this router for a few months now and I have had issues with wifi on numerous ocassions. At random, the router will begin to not distribute and assign ipv4 ip address for devices connected to the network. Only upon connecting the device via a static ip address does the device begin to access the internet. This also applies to devices connected via ethernet to the router. (i.e. my iPhone will connect via wifi to the SSID but will have an exclamation point through the wifi icon and says "No Internet Connection". Only after changing my ipv4 address settings for the connection to a static ip will it have internet access)

I believe this is due to the DHCP server not assigning ip addresses to connected devices. I can see that a self-assigned ip address is in my device wifi settings. What are my options for a non-functioning DHCP Server?

Steps I have already taken in attempt to resolve:

Updated to latest firmware (Currently: Firmware Version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1)

Downgraded to previous firmware versions

Rebooted both the router and modem

Disconnected all devices wireless and ethernet

Enabled ipv6

Removed SSID security (open network)

Access Control is disabled

Changed router ip address

Disabled AX 

DHCP pool is 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.254

I am not an IT professional so debugging this is beyond my knowledge so any help is much appreciated. The only thing that seems to work is reseting the router which is a hassle since I am having to do this every month or so. Thoughts??

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 42
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello 1appleluvr, 

Welcome to the community! I'd like for our support to get in contact with you for further assistance. Please send me a message with your contact info and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 42
1appleluvr
Guide

Private message Sent. I will update this post accordingly with any resolution as I receive it.

Message 3 of 42
3RCFoster
Tutor

Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the same problem with a new note 10+.🙄
Message 4 of 42
1appleluvr
Guide

I have not received a resolution from Netgear support.

The only solution that seems to work for me is to reset the router and start network settings from scratch again. I do this about once a month or so.

Message 5 of 42
3RCFoster
Tutor

Thanks man. I'm having to do this daily. 🙄
Message 6 of 42
1appleluvr
Guide

If you have the same issue as me with your DHCP server, if you set the IP address of your device to a static IP and static DNS it worked for me. That would technically work but devices that I cannot set static IP addressess on would not be able to connect. Along with the fact that new devices temporarily trying to access my wifi would have to forego this tedious process just to connect, it is not acceptable from a brand and luxury product like Netgear is.

Message 7 of 42
3RCFoster
Tutor

No it's not. I expected more from the Support side also. Thnx for the work around. 😉
Message 8 of 42
1appleluvr
Guide

Today I received a response from Netgear. They are refusing to provide me support for this issue on the sole basis that I did not purchase from an "authorized Netgear reseller". I purchased it online from a person who longer wanted the router.

Not exactly what I would call good customer service. Regardless of where someone purchases your product, support should be available. Bottom line is that I have not opened, altered or otherwise changed how the product functions so reseller or not, support should be a given.

I am dissapointed in Netgear. I will be forced to purchase my next router from a different manufacturer that cares enough to support all the products they produce rather than only the ones sold by resellers deemed "authorized".

Message 9 of 42
1appleluvr
Guide

In the meantime, if anyone has any actual solutions they would like to share, please do! 

Message 10 of 42

@1appleluvr wrote:

Regardless of where someone purchases your product, support should be available.

Unfortunately, that's not how these things work.You will find that other brands have similar rules. Check before you try something else.

In any case, "free" support is for only 90 days.Basically it is set-up support.

Your best bet is to persevere with this place by providing as much information as possible, with details of what you have done and where it goes wrong.

For a start, have you tried different firmware? Sadly, latest is not always greatest.

Message 11 of 42
ThomasPape
Initiate

Hi guys. Just wantet to hear if anyone has any other ideas except for static IP and DNS for this issue. I'm having similar problems acros multiple devices using the wifi. 
They seem to be connecting fine, but getting wrong ot no DHCP data. Usually rebooting the device or the router seems to fix it.

Message 12 of 42
Izumad
Aspirant

Greetings all on this post.

I am having the exact issue with a Router I bought from Best Buy.  It started doing this same thing right as the 90 day free service was expiring.  I have to manually assign IP Addresses for all devices on my network.  Has there been any feedback or a solution to fix this issue?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 42

@Izumad wrote:

Greetings all on this post.

I am having the exact issue with a Router I bought from Best Buy. 

You can never really know that. The symptoms may seem the same, but that could be down to different underlying issues.

You might do better to start your own fresh discussion, especially as this one does not have a SOLVED flag.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 14 of 42
NightComet
Tutor

I've had this same issue 3-4 times since I purchased the router, but everytime mine stops handing out IP addresses, it has a new firmware update pending. I let it run the update or just reboot it and it will start assigning new IP addresses. I checked the settings and I had Router Auto Firmware Update set to Enabled. I'm wondering if it is unable to complete the update fully or a reboot is required but won't do it on its own. I've disabled the option to see if this clears up the issue.
Message 15 of 42

Mine does the same. Been through support. They’re not transparent, and never give information to the users. It’s sad as hell. Netgear used to be a name you could trust. I don’t wanna badmouth a company on their website. But months of issues with this and other things like disconnects... I hope the competition Pushes them hard. I’m so upset. So freaking mad right now . During work from home covid era none the less.
Message 16 of 42
NightComet
Tutor

Spoke too soon. Ran the firmware update but DHCP never resumed working. Been messing with it all day with no luck. Had to set all my devices to static IP's so I could work. Will have to factory reset it again. Of course I can't ask for support without buying a $30 support contract. Do they give you 90 days support after purchase? I'm a week past 90 lol.
Message 17 of 42

I just found a possible workaround. Disable access control. Even with no rules set, after disabling 2.4 and 5 ghz showed on my devices with internet. Give it a shot!
Message 18 of 42
NightComet
Tutor

No luck for me, but thanks for the suggestion. I had an old R6220 set in AP mode, so I ended up swapping my R6220 and RAX40's roles, set the RAX40 in AP mode. Hopefully Netgear will fix it in the future and I can use it as my router like I hoped for. Lost an entire day fighting with this stuff.

Message 19 of 42

To update it eventually failed again. This batch of products is very buggy. Hope for some fixes...
Message 20 of 42
Tommy1981
Guide

I worked on my nighthawk AX4 router all day. I woke up 2 days ago to "internet may not be available" on my phone and the internet not connecting on my roku TVs. I called support and they said to try resetting the router and then use their app to update to the latest firmware. I update the firmware through my nighthawk app and went through all of the steps. This did not work.

Here is the fix:

DO NOT USE THE APP!!

I pulled out my laptop and went to their website. Netgear support. Downloaded the latest firmware. It is about 35mb. I installed this through the Microsoft edge browser. Typed in the router's ip address in my browser and used the tools on here to update it. It said that the router had the same firmware I was updating to. I still did it. This worked!! Fix the problem.

I called support back and he told me that updating over cellphone with cellular data is a bad idea.

Hope this helps you guys out!!
Message 21 of 42
Tommy1981
Guide

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Here is the link to the screen shot in the initial post.
Message 22 of 42
Tommy1981
Guide

Instead of going to Routerlogin.net just enter 192.168.1.1 into the browser. This is the default router ip address.
Message 23 of 42
jhajin
Tutor

I had that very same problem with an R8000 router. Tried for about a year to fix the problem but never figured out what the problem was. If I did a factory reset and manually reset my custom configs it would work for a few weeks than went back to not assigning IP addresses to wireless devices without a static IP. Netgear was no help because the router was older thann 90 days.

I couldn't take it any more. I dumped the R8000 and bought a RAX80. So far it's working (3-weeks) but it has issues too.

If anyone figures out the problem please post it here.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 24 of 42
Tommy1981
Guide

Go to routerlogin.com or use the routers ip address on a laptop to go into the settings. Go to advances/ administration/ router updates and disable auto updates. I got "internet may not be available error" and drops until I disconnected my RAX35 and update it with my laptop. I reset it and then updated. I used my HP laptop running windows 10 & the edge browser.

Netgear would not talk to me about how to fix it unless I gave them 139 but he did email me a link to how to manually update the firmware.
The main problem is it says everywhere to use their app. I tried the app first. It appeared to go smooth but errors still occurred. So I downloaded the firmware and unzipped it on my laptop. I then installed it with a brand new ethernet cord.

I called back and explained to the tech guy exactly what I did. He admitted that updating with a computer is better than using a phone app. The app downloads and uploads at the same time, while the computer will download it first and then upload it all at once.

I turned off auto updates and will manually update fro. This point forward
Message 25 of 42
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7