× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX4 Internet performance

Coltin10
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX4 Internet performance

I was wondering how to make the internet router perform better when you have a metal roof, would it be best to love the router as close as possible to a window? Or is there any other ways to have the best possible connect for my console so I don’t disconnect all the time? I have a good internet provider it’s just I have a metal roof and need ideas to get the best out of the router.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk AX4 Internet performance

Hi Coltin10, 

Relocating the router is not a bad place to start to ensure you have optimal performance. If you can, you may also hard wire your console to the router. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
Coltin10
Aspirant

My setup is I have the modem which the internet provider hooks up to and then I have an internet cable running from there to my router in my room which then another internet cable runs to the Xbox from the router. I get disconnected from the game and internet is slow so the best option is trying to relocate the router closer to a window?
Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Coltin10, 

So just to confirm, your console is currently wired to the router? This may sound silly, but have you tried switching out the ethernet cable that is connecting your console and router? 

Christian 

Message 4 of 7
Coltin10
Aspirant

No I haven’t done that, the Ethernet cable that is connected from the router to my console is the one that came with the router, I’m not sure how great the Nighthawk Ethernet cables are, I didn’t think it could matter.
Message 5 of 7
Canetrane
Aspirant

If your playstation is wired then it doesnt matter where you place the router. Router placement only matters for the wifi connected devices.  The ethernet cable that came with my nighthawk ax4 AX3000 (RAX35) says its cat 5e but its a 30awg cable.  All of the cat 5e cables I've seen before are 24awg and cat 6 is generally 23awg.  I also have a nighthawk AC2100 (R7200) and for some reason it outperforms my AX4 consistantly. There is a noticable difference in wifi internet speed. Seems like the internet lags on every device that I connect to my AX4 through wifi. Even my wifi 6 galaxy note 10 lags when connected to it.  I have none of these issues with the AC2100.  The internet coming out of my cable modem is 200 - 370 Mbps depending on the time of day.  I Never tried to plug anything directly into these routers mainly because i just use them for wifi

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unplug your playstation and see if your wifi speeds come back up faster as thats the problem im having with the RAX35.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7