× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 (RAX35) nonfunctional when changed to AP mode

craigaroni
Star

Nighthawk AX4 (RAX35) nonfunctional when changed to AP mode

When connected to my ISP’s gateway, my Nighthawk RAX35 router creates its own 10.0;0.x local network. I want to configure the router to instead extend the 192.168.1.x local network created by the gateway, as if it was a simple switch with wireless capability. The description of AP Mode matches my intent exactly. However, if I enable AP Mode, with the recommended setting to get its IP address dynamically from existing router, the internet light changes from green to amber and I’m unable to connect to the router using the assigned IP to administer it. I end up having to reset the router to restore connectivity. I expect this is a common configuration and should be simple to enable. Unfortunately my initial support period has expired. Any suggestions on how to diagnose or configure greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
craigaroni
Star

With the help of a Gearhead tech, after purchasing a support contract, two fruitless disconnected sessions, and a final 2 hour 30 minutes session, my RAX-35 is now working as desired...all wireless and ethernet connections have IP addresses on the local network of my ISP gateway.

AP Mode is NOT the answer; the tech agrees it SHOULD work and likely a firmware problem.

The fix: Connect an ethernet cable from the ISP gateway to an ethernet port of the RAX-35, not to the internet port.  On the LAN Setup page (Advanced Tab), assign the router an IP address in the range of the ISP network and turn off Use Router as DHCP server.

Hope this helps others struggling to achieve the same configuraion.  Seems common enough to warrant discussion in the manual.

View solution in original post

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you switch it to ap mode, the modem/router device you're using assigns an IP address.

have you logged into the main modem/router to check which ip address its assigning? 

You can set a lan address for it but it should be within the range the primary router is using. 

Message 2 of 10
craigaroni
Star

Yes, the admin page for my ISP gateway shows the ip address assigned to the router, but the router admin page does not load using that address, not from the gateway's local network, nor from devices connected to the router via ethernet.  (Devices connected to the router show a self-assign IP address.)

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

once the RAX is in access point mode, do you have it connected via the wan port? or lan port? 

The devices aren't self assigning. Somethings giving them the ip address. and if the RAX is in ap mode, it isn't the rax. 

Message 4 of 10
craigaroni
Star

Following instructions in the user manual, the ethernet cable is connected to the internet port on the RAX35, and to an ethernet port on the ISP gateway.

When the RAX35 was in AP Mode, I noticed that a connected device had an unexpected IP address, not from the 192.168.1.x local network of the gateway, nor from 10.0.0.x (as when the RAX35 is NOT in AP Mode).  Recalled it said self-assigned, but may be mistaken.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

have you tried to access it via the nighthawk app?

Message 6 of 10
craigaroni
Star

My recollection is that the Nighthawk app could not connect either; I'll try that when I get a chance to put router back into AP Mode.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

No idea why the RAX35 does get an IP. but not the systems associated (by direct connected LAN or wireless). Can't help much with discovering what's wrong with the AP mode ... I guess it's the last thing tested - if ever - when udating firmware. Kurt's law: Consnumer routers don't make good APs - avoid.

@craigaroni wrote:

When the RAX35 was in AP Mode, I noticed that a connected device had an unexpected IP address, not from the 192.168.1.x local network of the gateway, nor from 10.0.0.x (as when the RAX35 is NOT in AP Mode).  Recalled it said self-assigned, but may be mistaken.

This is correct and normal - modern computer OS (Android, Linux workstations, iOS, MacOS, Windows...) revert to self-assigned ZeroConfig addesses if the BOOTP/DHCP process does not succeed and no fall-back/alternate network config is in place.

Needless to say that you can't reach your RX35 from devices with ZeroConfig IP addresses if it has received an IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet from your router. 

Message 8 of 10
craigaroni
Star

With the help of a Gearhead tech, after purchasing a support contract, two fruitless disconnected sessions, and a final 2 hour 30 minutes session, my RAX-35 is now working as desired...all wireless and ethernet connections have IP addresses on the local network of my ISP gateway.

AP Mode is NOT the answer; the tech agrees it SHOULD work and likely a firmware problem.

The fix: Connect an ethernet cable from the ISP gateway to an ethernet port of the RAX-35, not to the internet port.  On the LAN Setup page (Advanced Tab), assign the router an IP address in the range of the ISP network and turn off Use Router as DHCP server.

Hope this helps others struggling to achieve the same configuraion.  Seems common enough to warrant discussion in the manual.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
DaTruAndi
Aspirant

Did this ever get any update or actual fix?

I bought 5 RAX35 and already had one RAX40 for the purpose of using it as an access point in various spots in our (wired) house.

It seems to block DHCP traffic for some reason and thus clients accessing the access point never get an IP address.

I am not entirely sure as I tried so many permutations, but when I had one RAX35 set to another RAX35 that switched its IP to 10.0.0.1 because of a conflict with the local network, then DHCP seemed to suddenly work - from the 10.0.0.1 RAX35 not in AP mode to the RAX35 in AP mode.

Unfortunately ATT prevents the main router to be set to 10.x.x.x/8 - so even if that would work it would not help me.

And yes, I actually need the wired ports.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7