× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 RAX40 vs. RAX40v2

net151
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX4 RAX40 vs. RAX40v2

Hi,

I've noticed there are two versions of the RAX40 available. (actually the same goes for the RAX35 and RAX38)

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/RAX40.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/rax40v2.pdf

According to the datasheets the RAX40 has "Powerful Dual-core Processor", while the RAX40v2 has a "Powerful Triple-

Core 1.5GHz Processor".

As per Netgear's own info the original Nighthawk AX4 used to be "powered by the Intel Home Wi-Fi Chipset WAV600 Series",

but I can't find any info about the RAX40v2's chipset.

Does anyone know?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
ST13P
Initiate

I'd like to know also. If this is an updgrade. Is this an admission the RAX40 original is not fit for purpose?

In summary that I understand from another post (RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log)

1. The latest firmware (1.0.3.80) was unstable, crashing regularly, overheating, etc.

2. Referting to previous version (Firmware Version 1.0.3.64) made it stable but removed full capability.

3. Some users under waranty have reported recieving beta version with mixed results. This beta is not widely available.

Nice to hear from Netgear about the difference between these.

Message 2 of 10
itsmehuey
Luminary

Netgear really need to come clean and admit that the faulty RAX40 v1 that we all have was replaced with a v2 and that’s why they haven’t even bothered fixing the firmware for the v1 properly. They should also be providing a replacement to ALL v1 owners to a free version 2 due to all the freaking headaches we’ve had to endure with this piece of trash.

What Netgear are doing is absolutely criminal.
Message 3 of 10
Chana88
Apprentice

Agree totally 

Message 4 of 10

I totally agree I bought mine mid September and had to troubleshoot my router until realized I needed to go to an old firmware to have it more stable.

Message 5 of 10
Chana88
Apprentice

Well I have ditched my RAX40 no matter what you do it it will work for a bit then starts to drop out can't be bothered with all the hassle bought myself a ASUS ax router not a single drop out and has tons more features than netgear.

Message 6 of 10
net151
Aspirant

In case someone is still interested in the answer to my original question.

The FCC has recently provided a document with photos of the innards of the RAX40v2 on their FCC ID Database website.

As can be seen from the close-ups, the two main chips are a Broadcom BCM6750 SoC that includes, among other things, the

Triple-Core 1.5 GHz ARM CPU and a BCM43684 chip that handles the 5 GHz Wi-Fi part.

Message 7 of 10
BMCOMM
Initiate

We purchased the RAX40 just over 12mths ago and have had nothing but problems with it ranging from devices unable to connect, devices dropping out and poor internet download speeds, not to mention the problems with various firmware releases, ALL of which created new problems of their own, whether it be loss of functionality or inabilitry to access features.

Now we notice that there is a version 2 of the RAX40 bening referred to on the RAX40 Support Page for Firmware Downloads. We also note that Firmware version V1.0.3.88_1.0.1 does NOT support OFDMA, WPA3 or Smart Connect and Netgear state that if you want to use these features, you need to roll-back to Firmware Version V1.0.3.80 however, a link to this version of the firmware is nowhere to be found!

This is unacceptable and beyond disappointing, especially from a Company such as Netgear who claim to have superior domestic network products and set their RRP's accordingly. Should Netgear not feel the need to provide their "valued customers" with a satisfactory resolution to this debacle, it will be the last Netgear product of ANY kind that we purchase again, especially given that these issues were reported to Netgear Support whilst the unit was still in Warranty and not resolved.

SHAME Netgear, SHAME!

Message 8 of 10
itsmehuey
Luminary

@BMCOMM wrote:

This is unacceptable and beyond disappointing, especially from a Company such as Netgear who claim to have superior domestic network products and set their RRP's accordingly. Should Netgear not feel the need to provide their "valued customers" with a satisfactory resolution to this debacle, it will be the last Netgear product of ANY kind that we purchase again, especially given that these issues were reported to Netgear Support whilst the unit was still in Warranty and not resolved.

SHAME Netgear, SHAME!

Netgear are the most corrupt Networking company I've ever had the displeasure in dealing with... I can't believe they're able to get away with this kind of shoddy act of dishonesty.

Message 9 of 10
Chana88
Apprentice

Yes they are robbing ba****ds mine still in warranty in box

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements