× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 Randomly Stops Working

mfk5331
Tutor

Nighthawk AX4 Randomly Stops Working

I purchased the Nighthawk AX4 router several weeks ago and after about a week of use I began having connectivity issues with it. It is model RAX40 with firmware V1.0.2.46_1.0.1.

Everything worked perfect for about a week or so, then about once a day all WiFi stops working until the router is restarted. All lights stay on and stay green on the router when this happens. On my phone, it still will show it is connected to the router, but internet does not work. On other devices such as my Nest thermostat, it shows disconnected from the router completely. There doesn't seem to be any specific time this is happening, but it seems to be when nothing is in use for a while (when I'm at work or sleeping).

I have read about disabling the AX setting, which did not help at all.

Has anyone had this problem or have any idea how to fix it?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mfk5331 - If you recently purchased the device, you may activate your complimentary support and open a ticket with our Support Team.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 2 of 8
ace115630
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Mine is related to DHCP. The router randomly reassigns bad IP addresses to devices. Changing my devices to use a static IP and configuring them properly solved the issue. Kind of annoying that this is happening but this is a workaround if you are having this same issue. Next time this happens, take note of the IP addresses on your devices before you restart the router. If they are completely wrong, change them to static and configure them and the device should work fine without having to restart the router.

Message 3 of 8
mfk5331
Tutor

How do I change device IPs to static? The only static IP setting I can find is for the internet. I'm really not sure how all that stuff works.

Message 4 of 8
ace115630
Aspirant

This would be done from each individual device unfortunately. Almost all devices give you the option to manually set IP settings. So no matter if it's a TV, a laptop, a smartphone, etc, in the process of connecting the device to a wifi network, there should be the option to set the IP address manually. If you're using default settings on the router, it's internal IP should be 192.168.1.1. On each device, set the default gateway to that address (192.168.1.1 if default settings), then set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and set the device's IP address to something like 192.168.1.XXX (XXX = 100-255). The device should also ask for a DNS server. Just use the same address as the default gateway (again, 192.168.1.1 if using default router settings)

Message 5 of 8

And once you have set the IP address on the device, you can tell your router to Reserve that IP address so that nothing else can use it.

The manual for your device will explain how to do that.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 6 of 8
mfk5331
Tutor

I've found that my Nest thermostat and Google Nest Hub don't allow you to set a static IP. Is there any kind of workaround for that? Setting a static IP seems to have fixed the problem on my other devices.

Message 7 of 8

@mfk5331 wrote:

I've found that my Nest thermostat and Google Nest Hub don't allow you to set a static IP. Is there any kind of workaround for that? Setting a static IP seems to have fixed the problem on my other devices.

This?

Hello, Does anyone know how to set the IP Address as static on a Google Home Hub - Google Nest Help

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7