× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 disconnects and reconnects a couple times every hour

mshannonjr7
Tutor

Nighthawk AX4 disconnects and reconnects a couple times every hour

My Nighthawk router has greatly improved my internet speed, but a couple times per hour, it disconnects and takes about 30 seconds to reconnect. I've tried looking up this issue, but it only seemed to be a problem with a different model. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@mshannonjr7 wrote:

... a couple times per hour, it disconnects and takes about 30 seconds to reconnect. ...

Just something you experience on wireless client, or overall, for any systems connected to the AX4?

Does the log show a disconnection and reconnection?

Any PPPoE or the like encapsulation and authentication involved for the Internet connection?

What does make up your Internet connection - some Cable modem, xDSL/G.fast modem, building/apartment house Ethernet, ... ?

PS. A moderator is kindly requested to move the post to the appropriate Nighthawk Routers With WiFi 6 (AX) community section.

Message 2 of 7
mshannonjr7
Tutor

• This is something that is experienced on all devices connected to the router, both wireless and through ethernet. 
  • Here are just some of the many logs that show a disconnection and reconnection:  
    • [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.73, Mon,May 13,2019 07:06:50
      [Internet disconnected] Mon,May 13,2019 07:06:42
      [DoS attack:ACK Scan] from source: 192.168.1.2, port 58039, Mon,May 13,2019 07:03:21
    • [Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.74, Mon,May 13,2019 08:06:01
      [DoS attack:ACK Scan] from source: 192.168.1.2, port 58914, Mon,May 13,2019 08:05:58
      [Internet disconnected] Mon,May 13,2019 08:05:53
  • I'm not exactly sure what the PPPoE is.
  • The router is connected to an ethernet port in the wall which comes from our modem: Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem SBG6782-AC
    • It's a fairly large house with no close neighbors (for interference purposes).
  • How can I move the post? Do I just have to copy and paste everything?
  • Thanks for the reply!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The only thing to check is the configuratin of the Internet WAN port to ensure the Connection Mode is set to "Always on" - as wth the other posts you migth have seen recently:

Internet Connection Login - Connection Mode Always On.PNG

Issues might be specific to the Internet connection, cable modem, ...

The AX4 is the only device connected direct to your cable modem?

No need to duplicate, the Netgear moderators are not around here 24*7 ... time permitting, it will be moved.

Message 4 of 7
mshannonjr7
Tutor

When I configured the WAN setup as you've mentioned, it caused me to lose connection until I switched the "does your internet connection require a login" option back to "no".

This is the only thing connected to the modem.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, I was not clear about - this control is only availanle if there is some encapsulation and user authentiction.

Get in touch with your ISP and the Netgear support via https://my.netgear.com/ please. 

Message 6 of 7
Wanderingbug
Initiate

I am running into this same issue. The connection speeds are great but if im playing a game on my xbox then i drop the connection pretty often which is quite annoying. Im curious if there is a setting or something that i may missed that would help with the signals. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7