× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX5 5 Stream AX4200 - Slow speed

gferraiolo123
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX5 5 Stream AX4200 - Slow speed

OS 11.6.7 BigSur, Nighthawk AX5 5 Stream AX4200 / firmware is fully up to date. Every day I need to restart my nighthawk router and I believe the issue is the signal coming from my Apple TV. In the morning, I run a speed text on my laptop and it's at full speed. Then I turn on Screen Mirroring on to use my TV as a dual monitor.  When I run the speed test again, my wifi speed is reduced by 80%. Once I restart my router, my wifi speed is back to normal, but I'm getting tired of reseting my router every day. Any thoughts? Btw...I've already spoke with Apple support and Optimum support and they couldn't find any issues on their end.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX5 5 Stream AX4200 - Slow speed

Optimum tends to use modem/router combo devices and not just modems. 

what modem/gateway do you have from them? 

Message 2 of 8
gferraiolo123
Aspirant

I just have the modem Arris. I should also say that this set up had been working fine for about a year and then it just stopped working. There was an outage in my area, which was fixed, but that didn’t help resolve the issue. And i updated my routers firmware hoping it would fix the issue, but it hasn’t.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What arris modem is it? They much a lot of versions

Message 4 of 8
gferraiolo123
Aspirant

Arris - TM1602 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

So you have to start back at basics as thats just a modem and not a router. 

Directly wire a pc into the modem and use it for a day. See if your speeds slow down. 

If not, then connect the router back to it and just connect a pc to the router and watch it for a day to see if it slows down. 

If it doesn't, then add your device you suspect is causing the issue and see if it slows down. maybe that device has a process that's getting stuck and burning through bandwidth (seen it happen)

Message 6 of 8
gferraiolo123
Aspirant

Thanks. When I'm hard wired in, the speed is normal. It's only when I screen share from my mac laptop to my apple tv using wifi that the problem occurs. And again, that is typically fixed by restarting my router. When I do that, my wifi speed to my laptop is fine all day, even if I put it to sleep or turn it off. So I think something is happening over night. Perhaps my modem gets temporarily disconnect, which is messing up my router. Optimum online isn't great, so I wouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 8
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @gferraiolo123 ,

Could we know what's model name ? and what's FW version ?

Thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7