× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX5 RAX30 DNS not editable

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nighthawk AX5 RAX30 DNS not editable

DNS setting.png

Just recently purchased a netgear modem and Nighthawk AX5 RAX30 router to replace Xfinity's xfi so I can do more with my network. I want to setup Adguard on my raspberry pi but for that to work you need to point the router's DNS address to the pi. When i go into the router to change the internet setup I can change the addresses for the Internet IP Address however when I set the DNS to Use these DNS servers the address lines stay greyed out.

I turned off parental controls and the A Security functions and set the PI's static IP on the client and removed the static from the router thinking those were the problem with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX5 RAX30 DNS not editable

You may need to factory reset the router and setup from scratch. If you do, be sure to not enable Armor or SPC. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

DNS setting.png

Just recently purchased a netgear modem and Nighthawk AX5 RAX30 router to replace Xfinity's xfi so I can do more with my network. I want to setup Adguard on my raspberry pi but for that to work you need to point the router's DNS address to the pi. When i go into the router to change the internet setup I can change the addresses for the Internet IP Address however when I set the DNS to Use these DNS servers the address lines stay greyed out.

I turned off parental controls and the A Security functions and set the PI's static IP on the client and removed the static from the router thinking those were the problem with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what modem do you have? 

What firmware version are you on? 

Have you tried a different browser or pc? 

Or clearing cache/data on your current browser? 

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The Modem is the Netgear MC1000v2

Router firmware: V1.0.5.70_1

I have tried doing this on Safari (mac) and Chrome (windows)

Did not try clearing cache since its happening on multiple machines with multiple browsers.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Hate to recommend it but have you tried a factory reset/reinstall? (don't use a backup configuration)

I've used numerous netgear routers with my pihole and the only time I wasn't able to modify the dns settings was when it was in access point mode or when I had a browser issue. (try firefox or edge)

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You may need to factory reset the router and setup from scratch. If you do, be sure to not enable Armor or SPC. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

DNS setting.png

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am willing to give it a try. I'll post here with my results!!

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Factory reset did fix the problem and ad guard is working great! I would like to turn on the other features like parental control and Armor security but now I don't want to push my luck 😄 Thank you for your assistance!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping before you enable Armor or SPC. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7