× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX5400 will not connect to internet

moresoup4u
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX5400 will not connect to internet

Model: Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX54S)

I’m encountering an unusual issue with (2) brand new AX5400 (RAX54S) routers being unable to pull an IP from the ISP’s DHCP server. Please note that I’ve done the traditional/basic troubleshooting already (power cycle, factory resets, etc). This is something more nuanced than the ol’ off and on again can solve.

The ISP is a community fiber provider in a rural area, the only in-house equipment is a Power over Ethernet injector that provides the internet cable for the router. I have confirmed with the ISP that the customer can use whatever router they prefer. I’m currently trying to replace a Motorola MR2600 router. The internet works fine with this router. I can also directly plug my laptop in to the injector and it pulls an IP address fine.

So why won’t the Nighthawk? I have experienced the same symptoms with both (brand new) routers. It does work if I leave the old router plugged in and connect a cable from the Nighthawk to one of the LAN slots, so it can pull from DHCP on these routers (just not from the ISP apparently).

I have tried all (3) available firmware, no difference. (RAX54S-V1.0.5.106_2.0.70, RAX54S-V1.0.10.110_2.0.75, RAX54S-V1.0.11.112)

I’ve also tried cloning the MAC of the old router, setting a static IP, no help. Disabling the WAN security features on the router did not do anything (Disable Port Scan and DoS protection).

Anyone with ideas of what to try next? It seems to be a firmware issue, possibly security-related? Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
moresoup4u
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX5400 will not connect to internet

my experience: support was useless. I returned these routers and went with TP-Link AX3200s. they work perfectly. I appreciate the condescension! my recommendation: don't buy Netgear products.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

That POE injector is connected to something thats providing a connection. Do you know what it is? (model)

Message 2 of 8
moresoup4u
Aspirant

it's powering the fiber company's equipment, I don't have physical access to it.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Ok, so you have a POE injector thats powering some type of gateway that you're connecting your orbi to. 

The goal is to figure out what that gateway is because some gateways, have their own routing features. 

And it causes a double nat. Netgear routers don't always place nicely with double nats. 

Message 4 of 8
moresoup4u
Aspirant

it seems unlikely to me that the ISP equipment is the issue here. other routers work, I can direct-connect my laptop and it works. double NAT would potentially cause connectivity issues with game consoles, etc -- but it wouldn't prevent a simple DHCP assignment from happening.

ISP acknowledged there should be no issue using this router and basically said "good luck, let us know if you figure it out."

I contacted Netgear support via phone and they escalated the issue, waiting to hear back from a senior tech. I really wish DD-WRT was supported on this model.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its tough to help when all we get is "I'm connected to a miracle box powered by POE. All my other routers work but not the netgear. Why not"

You're more than welcome to wait on L2 and see if it helps. 

Message 6 of 8
moresoup4u
Aspirant

I appreciate your input. I have been troubleshooting this for 3 days and can definitively say it's not a line issue. if it were, other devices wouldn't work either. other routers work, other direct-connect devices work. I wish it were as simple as power cycling some piece of equipment.

Message 7 of 8
moresoup4u
Aspirant

my experience: support was useless. I returned these routers and went with TP-Link AX3200s. they work perfectly. I appreciate the condescension! my recommendation: don't buy Netgear products.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7