× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 RAX45 WiFi Router

CptWelsh
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 RAX45 WiFi Router

I have a Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 RAX45 WiFi Router - Firmware Version V1.0.11.112_2.0.77, that I been having some issues with. I have a fairly active internet family. So i bought this router because it had the power needed keep the native happy! 🙂

I run a tight ship when it comes to my internet and connected devices. When I logon and go to Attached Devices, I check out who connected. ( I like giving each device it own IP Address.) So I check the MAC address against my master list. Then I go to the Advance, LAN to assign IPs. Then I've notice that the IPs in Basic/Attached Device - The DHCP IPs didn't match. Ok, refresh. Then went about to assign Ip with Name so forth. assign, save, then on to the next one. Well did that like a dozen time. So the next week I check to see how things are going. And again, Basic/Attached Device & Advance, LAN had IP mismatch's. Some not all. And a wifi repeater from Amazon wouldn't accept the IP I gave it. And today I had a Samsung A32 smartphone connected without internet. So did some troubleshooting there to no avail. So, I thought some how it got on the block list, login, went to the list not there and was in Allow, So I thought click on and edit, select allow that was already highlighted hit save, boom the the phone is working again. So over the months I've redid the setup, several factory rest reinstalled firmware. And besides the phone, to no avail. The IP problem perplexes me, as I plan on setting up a Media Server. Frustrating. Any help plz.

Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 RAX45 WiFi Router

There's a lot of stuff in that long slab of text. Trying to find the key issue, I landed on this bit:

@CptWelsh wrote:

So I check the MAC address against my master list. Then I go to the Advance, LAN to assign IPs. Then I've notice that the IPs in Basic/Attached Device - The DHCP IPs didn't match. Ok, refresh.

It seems to be a recipe for confusion.

MAC addresses have a habit of changing from what you see on the box. It is especially likely on mobiles. Both iOS and Android have ways of fooling routers.

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

There may be a tweak you can use on your phones.

Then there is the strategy with IP addresses. If I have devices that allow it – such as printers, network attached storage (NAS) and wireless access points – I find it easier to assign the IP address on the device itself.

I'm sure that the real experts here will turn up with better advice, but I would start with the basic question. What is the idea behind this "tight ship". And what is the best way to run it.

Serious disciplinarians like to use tools like Armor, even though it costs.

Message 2 of 5
CptWelsh
Aspirant

Just a little eccentric I guest. Setting each device individually kinda side step the DHCP. It would work for most of my devices. I know about the random MAC on Cell. I set them to use phone MACs. Any ideas on the pains that won't allow me changing IP's, Security CAM. And That wifi reaper/extender? (side note- I rebuild it. Works ten time better and cooler, bigger heatsink & fan, very poor design.)

Message 3 of 5

I find it hard to understand that message. Take this bit:

@CptWelsh wrote:

I know about the random MAC on Cell. I set them to use phone MACs.

How can you "set them to use phone MACs" if the MACs keep changing.

Or do you mean you disable the randomising?

Then there is this bit:

Any ideas on the pains that won't allow me changing IP's, Security CAM. And That wifi reaper/extender?

Can you explain that in ways that are easier to understand?

Message 4 of 5
microchip8
Master

The Attached devices on that firmware version is buggy (I run same FW version). Here, devices will show up but the reported IP is often just 0.0.0.0. Sometimes a device will be completely absent from the list even though bthat device is functioning well.

All my devices use a reserved DHCP as I like a "fixed" IP for all my devices (easy to find/lookup them). So don't trust Attached devices this much and hopefully a new FW version will improve things, but with NG's/Delta Networks incompetent developers, my hope isn't high.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7