× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem CAX80

frank1426
Follower

Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem CAX80

I just got the new Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem Router CAX80. I want to build a mesh network with it. Is it possible? I know not many people have this modem but maybe someone from Netgear can help me.
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem CAX80

Is it possible? Depends on how you want to do it. 

The CAX80 isn't a mesh router. I've seen hints of an Orbi AX modem in the fcc but nothing from netgear. 

You could add a mesh extender to it but it wouldn't be a full mesh system as nothing is controlling it. It still works as a mesh with the same ssid but doesn't have the full capabilities (easily adding in satellites for added coverage) of a true mesh system. 

Or you could add an orbi router/satellites to it (with orbi in ap mode or the CAX80 just in modem only mode) and use the orbi as the mesh. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem CAX80

Is it possible? Depends on how you want to do it. 

The CAX80 isn't a mesh router. I've seen hints of an Orbi AX modem in the fcc but nothing from netgear. 

You could add a mesh extender to it but it wouldn't be a full mesh system as nothing is controlling it. It still works as a mesh with the same ssid but doesn't have the full capabilities (easily adding in satellites for added coverage) of a true mesh system. 

Or you could add an orbi router/satellites to it (with orbi in ap mode or the CAX80 just in modem only mode) and use the orbi as the mesh. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7