× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 RAX7- Router dropping Wifi/Connects and No Internet

fjlcisco21
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 RAX7- Router dropping Wifi/Connects and No Internet

Looking for guidance on this router. I've had this router since November 2020 using Centurylink 1GB fiber optics internet. The way I set it up was to do away with the Centurylink modem by using their PPoE username and password so that I can just use the Nighthawk Ax8 to run as both router/modem. I have had zero issues until last week, we were out of town, come back and internet is off. I resetted the router and everything started back up. 2 hours later same issue, ressetted the router and back up. Im now a week into this game of resetting to router every couple of hours to get this thing to work as it did before. I've made some adjustments to the router setting and it helped getting me internet for most of the day, but there are times when everything is working, but my cell may fall off wifi with "connected-no internet", or the TV that is connected to ethernet straight to router shows "no ethernet connection" message but other laptops and wireless devices are connected and working fine. 

There arent issues with my internet provider as they show no technical difficulties on my end. I truly believe there was a change to my settings that I just cannot figure out. My router settings I've disabled IPv6 as I've heard that could be an issue and that didnt help, I've also changed the DNS address from getting it automatically from my ISP to using Cloudflare and Google DNS address. I've checked my VLAN configuration which is correct for using Centurylink internet without using their equipment. Only things I havent messed with is the IP address setting (getting from ISP) and MAC address. I've checked my wifi analytics and my channels all show connected to best scenarios. Only thing I have not done is a factory reset on this Nighthawk router and I just cant afford to be offline for a while as I try to figure out new settings again because I work from home and my son does school from home as well. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk AX8 RAX7- Router dropping Wifi/Connects and No Internet

Hello fjcisco21, 

Welcome to the community! Curious to hear if you've had a moment to perform a factory reset over the weekend? 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
fjlcisco21
Aspirant

Hi,
Yes I did a factory reset and got me on track a bit better than before, as the internet is not dropping from most all my devices. One weird thing to note Is that my cell phone attaches to my network via Wuz (my smart light bulbs) and not sure how I can stop that. But it works nonetheless. Only other thing that is just not working is my wireless HP Envy 5530 printer. It will not stay connected to my network for 3 seconds at a time. I've made it a static IP address in my router to help it out per some videos I've watched but is just not working at all.
Message 3 of 4
fjlcisco21
Aspirant

**meant via Wiz (my smart light bulb) not Wuz
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements