× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 (RAX80) Coverage?

KySkies
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 (RAX80) Coverage?

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded my wi-fi router from Netgear AC1600 to Nighthawk AX8. The installation went well with no hickups and latest firmware version was installed. 

My concern is the coverage area of the AX8 is no better at all then that from my older AC1600. I read a lot of reviews regarding the coverage area and the consensus was positive.

Before yesterday in order to get a signal to my back bedroom to my TV I was utilizing Netgear AC1200 Extender. To get a signal in the same room with Nighthawk AX8 I had to install the Extender again. This was not what I was expection at all!

The distance from where the router is installed to the bedroom TV is approximately 35'. What am I misissing here? One of the "wings" is pointed in the direction to the bedroom, if that makes a difference. Also, if it makes any difference at all, the router is in the family room that has 3 exterior brick walls. But the router is butted next to an interior sheetrock wall.  

I have attached my house layout. It is single story ranch.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 (RAX80) Coverage?

Are your interior walls brick? or the wall the router is against? 

Brick blocks wifi to an amazing extent. So does plaster lathe (many house with brick have plaster lathe interior walls). 

Something else to keep in mind. The new AX spec didn't increace antenna output power (because its set by the FCC) so  AX doesn't reach any futher than AC did. What it did do was allow a little more efficiency with a lower signal on AX devices. So AC devices aren't going to much extra distance (if any) and even AX devices will only get a little extra range. And even that isn't much. 

Message 2 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

Message 3 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

Thanks for responce. My interior walls are not brick, only exterior walls. The router is against an interior wall as can see from the house layout.  If the routers "wings" are any indication as to how to point the beam (signal), then this means it's trying to penerate through 2 brick walls? 

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

the "wings' are omnidirectional. Meaning they broadcast in a circle. So it really shouldn't matter much how they're pointed. 

What are the interior walls made of? 

Message 5 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

Interior walls are 1/2" sheetrock. House was built in 1978. 

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Have you tried simply moving the router around the corner to the kitchen area and seeing if it helps? 

it wouldn't be the first time that something in the walls (like hvac) was blocking the signal. 

Message 7 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

I was hoping I would not have to relocate the router from the family room because it's were the internet modem is located. 

This room is adjoined to the house and the floor is concrete. Meaning cabling would have to cross overtop of the threshold to the rest of the house. Can't drill through concrete floor to route cabling. 

Relocating the router from this room appears to be the only option here. But cable management and maintaining a "clean" look will prove to be challange.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

I just mean for testing. buy a cheap 10-20 ft ethernet cable and run it for 24-48 hours and see how it works. If it doesn't help, then its pointless to move it. But if it does help, it means something in the wall is blocking it. Then moving it might be ideal. and it wouldn't have to be to the kitchen. If there was a jack for the modem a bedroom, you could see if it'd work in there for the home. 

Message 9 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

Yes, I get what your saying and I'll have to try this. Thanks.

Just thinking outside the box here, I still have my old Netgeat AC1600 just laying around unused. Could I not in some way incorportate it into the enviorment and simply do away the extender? Like run a cable from it's WAN port to one of the 5 ports behind the AX8? 

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

(AC1600 is a speed not a model) What actual router is it? 

You can connect it to your current router but make sure the old device is in access point  mode to prevent a double nat. 

Its also not a mesh device so if you use the same ssid as the RAX, devices won't roam properly. 

but you can sure connect it and use it. It'll probably have quite a bit better performance than the extender. 

Message 11 of 13
KySkies
Aspirant

It's not in front of me, all I recall is it's Dualband AC1600 Wi-Fit Router with 1 WAN and additional 4 ethernet ports. 

Without performing trail and error on my part, I set the old router as access point, would I run ethernet cable from it's ethernet port of it's WAN port back to the RAX?

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Yes. 

Simply put the old router in ap mode, then connect its wan port to the RAX's lan port. 

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7