× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX8 does not work with Sonos

Nighthawk AX8 does not work with Sonos

Just some info for anyone considering purchasing this router.  It does not work with Sonsos products hard wired to the ethernet ports.  When I plug in either my Sonos Play 3 or a Sonos Boost to any of the ehternet ports, it shuts down the other ethernet ports and totally shuts down the wireless network.  I am returning the product today.

Message 1 of 12
myersw
Master

Some folks have gotten around this issue by getting an inexpensive switch and plugging devices into it and then the switch to a Ethernet port on the router. 

Message 2 of 12

Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be rude, but I sure hope this isn't the future of Networking as Netgear seems to claim with this router.  I didn't spend over 400 dollars on a router that has ethernet ports that don't even work.  Hard wired LAN/WAN technology has been around for quite some time, it astounds me that Netgear can't get this correct.  I will be going back to an ASUS solution.

Message 3 of 12
myersw
Master

@drewbab1229 

Don't blame you on the move back to Asus. 

I gave up on Netgear, used to be my go to vendor, after a r8000 and r8000p neither of which ever got good firmware and went else where. 

Message 4 of 12
Orbi
Star

I have the RAX80 and it works fine with the sonos boost plugged into the ethernet port. I had to turn off QOS which sucks because it seems to assign incorrect settings to devices.

Message 5 of 12

@drewbab1229 wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be rude, but I sure hope this isn't the future of Networking as Netgear seems to claim with this router. 

Don't worry, you got that advice from someone who boasts of having no Netgear equipment on their network, so their comments are ill informed. They are here simply to bitch ad nauseam about Netgear and its perceived shortcomings, regardless of the fact that all makes have similar issues.

You are not the first person to ask about Sonos:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Sonos

Remember, it takes two to tango. Who knows what Sonos gets up to, but as @Orbi says the two can work together.

Message 6 of 12
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward 

If you will look further up in the thread I gave a suggestion of how he might fix his issue using a switch like some folks have with Xbox issues.

Message 7 of 12

@myersw wrote:

@michaelkenward 

If you will look further up in the thread I gave a suggestion of how he might fix his issue using a switch like some folks have with Xbox issues.

I saw that. Not a lot of help, coming from an ignorance of Netgear's hardware.

Message 8 of 12
myersw
Master

Do have 10 accepted solutions so some folks find me helpful. 😉

Have experience with Linksys, Asus, Netgear and Cisco.  

Also provide assistance to folks with Uverse issues as have experience there. 

Also how to get back to Netgear OEM firmware from say DD-WRT as I have been there done that. 

Message 9 of 12

I did have QoS turned off on the router and that didn't work either.  The second I would plug in either the Play 3 or the Boost nothing would connect to the internet.  I spent hours on the phone with Netgear Support and after they finally got me connected to a competent person, they sure couldn't fix it and they sure acted like this wasn't the first time they had heard of this issue.  They even had me update the router with a firmware update that had not been made publically available at that time, and that just made things worse.  They even suggested a switch as a workaround.  I thought a better workaround would be to return it back to BestBuy who now has the router back.  Sorry, but that isn't a 400 dollar router in my opinion.  And this isn't some sort of hate Netgear post.  I am back to my original NightHawk X10 and it is back to kicking ass and working 10 times better than the 400 dollar piece of junk.  The fact of the matter is, these companies release they products before they are ready for Prime Time.

And I also apprectiate Bill's help.  Netgear couldn't come up with a better solution.

Message 10 of 12
migsta
Apprentice

Having a similar issue with RAX80 and LAN ports.  The moment I plug my switches into the LAN ports, nothing works.  Resolved by connecting a switch to the LAN port and then my other switches to that switch.  I do have tons of Sonos gear hard wired into my switches but not into the RAX80 LAN ports.  Other routers have worked in my setup without an issue save this RAX80.  

Recreated the problem for Netgear, sent them logs, etc. and they are reviewing but I'm not hopeful.  Will return this router if Netgear does not resolve this a few days but will be losing on shipping costs.  Netgear just turns the other way and says I have to deal with my seller for any refund and they are not willing to exchange it for another product even if I'm willing to fork out for the RAX120 or RAX200 (when available) but I wonder if they have same issue.  Either way, Netgear should be embarrased putting out such a product.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 12
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Search Google for “Sonos broadcast storm” ... I have not seen issue with mine but I did read about it elsewhere. Try disabling the WiFi feature in the Sonos app to make sure they do not connect to Ethernet and WiFi at same time. I have a Beam, Sub, and two Play Ones with no issues. The WiFi is enabled on Beam so can connect to wireless Play Ones... the Play ones are connected to Beam but not router WiFi since connecting them to Beam wireless network already causes them to display as connected to the router.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7