× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 slow download speeds.

djbauman92
Tutor

Nighthawk AX8 slow download speeds.

I have a Nighthawk RAX80 wifi 6 router.  For some reason the max download I can get out of the device is around 400-450.  I have tried wifi, and ethernet both with just one device connected at a time.  I have factory reset the router and my modem (Netgear cm1000) both.  I have replaced ethernet (CAT-7) cables on both, still nothing.  I have xfinity gigabit internet and I had a tech confirm I am getting 1 gig to the house.  Im gettng 1 gig to the modem, as well as 1 gig to the Nighthawk router itself when I run a speed test with the nighthawk app.  Still the most I can get down even with just one laptop connected via ethernet is about 400 down.  Im running firmware V1.0.2.76_1.0.35.  I tried reverting to an older firmware but that also didnt work.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 slow download speeds.

do you have qos, parental controls, access control, or traffic monitoring enabled? Or enabled at some point?

If so, try factory resetting 1 more time, and during setup, don't use those. I've read of qos and other settings being retained even through a disable/reboot.  

Also check you ipv4/6 settings. Try it with ipv6. 

Also, make sure the website you're on supports gig speeds. Speedtest.com can have issues with pick the proper server sometimes. 

I'm a fan of dslreports.com

Message 2 of 9
djbauman92
Tutor

So I as pretty sure I had all those settings off but I did another hard reset just to be safe.  Now When I try on the hardwired laptop I'm getting around 700 mbps down but  still only 450 or so on the wifi connected laptop.  I tried them one at a time disconecting the other before running the test.  Is it a channel issue maybe?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

wifi is very dependant on the device you're testing with. 

for instance, most wifi devices are 1x1 or 2x2 antenna connections.

Or their wifi chip might not support faster speeds. 

Or there might be wifi interference

Or you might be connected at 80hz and not 160hz. 

The general rule of thumb is that your actual throughput is roughly 55% of your link speed. This isn't always true but its a rough throughput speed. Some wifi chips are going to be more efficient and be higher to around 70% and others could be as low as 40%. 

What link speed do you have? 

how far from the router are you? 

What wireless device are you on? Its wireless chipset? 

for the hardwired test, what site did you use? 

Message 4 of 9
djbauman92
Tutor

Im sitting right in front of the router for all these tests for continuity.  I used dslreports, google's built in one, fast.com, speedtest.com, as well as xfinitys.  They were all about the same.  My network adapter is the Killer Wireless - n/a/ac 1535 wireless network adapter.  The strange thing I just noticed is when I click my network adapter it shows the speed is 880 mbps.  

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Try checking the driver for the wireless card. Not from windows or whoever makes the computer but directly from killer. Make sure you're on the latest one. 

Reason I say that is intel had issues with their cards working properly on AX when it was first released. they still have issues if the device is running from the stock windows update servers. maybe killer is the same. 

Message 6 of 9
djbauman92
Tutor

I actually tried this yesterday as well.  No luck.  Its all my devices on this network though.  My iphone, my girlfriends work laptop and personal macbook.  I was looking through old speed tests I'd ran on my iphone on this networ and at one point it was as fast as 670 mbps down.  Now it won't even get over 300 on the iphone.

Message 7 of 9
Archaeus
Aspirant

@djbauman92 wrote:

I actually tried this yesterday as well.  No luck.  Its all my devices on this network though.  My iphone, my girlfriends work laptop and personal macbook.  I was looking through old speed tests I'd ran on my iphone on this networ and at one point it was as fast as 670 mbps down.  Now it won't even get over 300 on the iphone.

Don't know if you got this sorted, but I bought this router two days ago and had the same issue. I dug through some old threads and found a workaround, which was to enable QoS and then disable it again, or to disable the WiFi antennas and enable them again. I got ~300Mbit before doing this, and now I get around 880Mbit or so over WiFi.

Message 8 of 9
Yogie
Aspirant

I'll try this. thanks

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7