× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX80 keeps dropping wifi

gcue
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX80 keeps dropping wifi

Wifi drops multiple times throught out the day using the Nighthawk AX80

i've tried all available firmware versions from the downloads site

RAX80-V1.0.2.76_1.0.35.zip
RAX80-V1.0.3.102_1.0.48.zip
RAX80-V1.0.3.106_1.0.50.zip
RAX80-V1.0.3.88_1.0.41.zip
RAX80-V1.0.4.120_1.0.61.zip
RAX80-V1.0.5.126_1.0.65.zip

I've done a factory reset multiple times.

I called Tech support and they sound like they've heard about this issue a lot but they have no idea what to do.  Felt sorry for the guy - not his fault.

I have seen so many people complaining about this issue and have spent hours reading everyone's complaints and no one who has found a solution.  I really really really really regret buying this EXPENSIVE router.  I am reading posts that date back a few  years and the issue is still happening!  I will never buy netgear again.  I am warning all my friends and family not to buy netgear either.  This is ridiculous.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk AX80 keeps dropping wifi

@gcue wrote:

Wifi drops multiple times throught out the day using the Nighthawk AX80

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 6
gcue
Aspirant

There isn't a modem in front of the router.  Also forgot to mention - my ISP provides a generic router that doesnt drop but doesnt have the same range.  Which is why I bought the nighthawk.. for wider range.  

Message 3 of 6

@gcue wrote:

There isn't a modem in front of the router. 

Something delivers the Internet, even if it is just an optical network terminator.

@gcue wrote:

Also forgot to mention - my ISP provides a generic router that doesnt drop but doesn't have the same range. 

I assume that you didn't also forget to tell us that you are using the RAX80 alongside the unnamed ISPs anonymous generic router.

Unknown variables and devices are a bugger when trying to troubleshoot.

Message 4 of 6
gcue
Aspirant

I am NOT using the generic router along with the netgear router.  As i mentioned, I was using the generic router but wanted longer range so I bought the netgear to use instead of the generic router.

Message 5 of 6
gcue
Aspirant

Thanks for checking though. I understand that would certainly add unnecessary jumps and possible collision activity. So any thoughts on what I could try?
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7