× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App missing Parental Controls and Security

brettdm12
Follower

Nighthawk App missing Parental Controls and Security

I just bought the Netgear AX8 (RAX80) router after seeing this video recorded in February 2019.  It shows Parental Controls using full features of Circle and Security features.  The Nighthawk application doesn't have either of the two features.  That is why I bought the router.  Circle better not cost additional money for the full features.  I have KoalaSafe which is incredible parental controls without monthly fees, but the range and latency is not as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJMb2ywiyc

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk App missing Parental Controls and Security

@brettdm12 wrote:

I just bought the Netgear AX8 (RAX80) router after seeing this video recorded in February 2019.  It shows Parental Controls using full features of Circle and Security features.  The Nighthawk application doesn't have either of the two features.  That is why I bought the router.  Circle better not cost additional money for the full features. 

Sadly, Circle costs money.

As you have discovered, the new Nighthawk app seems to lack Parental Controls. There was a Netgear video showing support for Parental Controls, but that seems to have gone AWOL.

What you can do is use the browser interface to set this up.

You can also use the browser, rather than the app, if you want to to manage this on the fly.

Message 2 of 5
GabboCH
Apprentice

There are no parental controls on the RAX80 even through the interface...!

There are also lots of problems with the RAX80 if you look in the other threads (Wifi connection, LAN speeds etc).

If this was one of the main features you expected from the RAX80 I would return it & get one of the netgear Wifi5 routers which do have the features you mentioned.

There is currently no official statement I have seen for when these functions will be added to the new Wifi6 routers.

Given the response time to fix the current connectivity issues I think you will be waiting months to years for these kind of features to be added to the RAX range.

Message 3 of 5

@GabboCH wrote:

There are no parental controls on the RAX80 even through the interface...!

Uh oh. Netgear marketing strikes again.

The original data sheet for the RAX80 clearly states:

"Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause the Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup smart parental controls and much more!"

They seem to have removed it from a later version. This would certainly be a reason for returning the thing if you bought it on the basis of that earlier guidance.

Message 4 of 5
GabboCH
Apprentice

My RAX80 is now in the box waiting for the store I bought it from to except my return.

However, I dont even remember that there was a feature in the web interface to disable all Wifi at certain time, although I could be wrong as its not normally a feature I would use.

Some other users have said it will come later because they have to concentrate on the new Wifi6 implementation but I really dont understand this argument.

A parental control feature or access control has nothing to do with the type of Wifi signal band etc so it should really be a stand alone feature which sits above the hardware interface.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7