× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Ax6000 RAX120

Uncleenyaw
Aspirant

Nighthawk Ax6000 RAX120

When I reboot my RAX120 router it causes me to lose my internet connection. I have to manually reboot my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard) to get the internet to work again. I have to turn off/on the wireless connection on the router to get the internet working again. This problem is happening frequently and not sure whether it’s the router causing the issue or the cable modem (several years old). What can I check to rule out that the issue is unrelated to the RAX120?
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Ax6000 RAX120

couple questions.

1. What modem are you using?

2. What firmware is on the router?

3. Why are you rebooting the router? 

4. When you lose your connection, is it disconnecting from wireless or is it just saying "no internet available"?

5. How frequently is it happening?

Message 2 of 8
Uncleenyaw
Aspirant

RAX120
couple questions.
1. What modem are you using?
Motorola SB8120
2. What firmware is on the router?
1.0.0.84 (note router said that there were no firmware updates available)
3. Why are you rebooting the router?
To fix internet issues with home PCs and devices. Some are wired and some are wireless. Happens in both types of connections.
4. When you lose your connection, is it disconnecting from wireless or is it just saying "no internet available"?
Can’t connect To the internet from wired/wireless devices. The Nighthawk App shows internet offline and the dashboard shows a not connected message.
5. How frequently is it happening?
It’s happened 4 times in the last 24 hours. Before that I don’t recall it happening much. I just bought the router in early October.
Message 3 of 8
Uncleenyaw
Aspirant

Sorry it’s a SB6120 modem.
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Based off you're responses, we need to determine if it is indeed a router problem or if its a modem issue. Whenever you get both dropping (wired/wireless) you have to figure out exactly which one is causing it.  

Do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? And logs?

If you're directly wired into the modem and run it for while, does the issue still happen?

There is a newer firmware for the router but its a fix for a wireless connection issues.

If you recently updated the firmware, have you tried a factory reset? the newer RAX devices have responded favorably to factory resetting after firmware updates.  

Message 5 of 8
Uncleenyaw
Aspirant

Plemen, thanks for your responses.

I will take a look at the logs and send a snippet.

I haven’t tried just using the modem but have considered it. Unfortunately, my family would freak if I had to take down the Wifi to test it.

I’ve had the modem for several years now so I’m considering just replacing it. A newer one would probably work better with the Nighthawk. Probably just go with a Netgear one.

I will try the factory reset and see if that works.

I have a hub for the wired network plugged into the port aggregator port on the router. Could that be causing any issues issue?
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I have a hub for the wired network plugged into the port aggregator port on the router. Could that be causing any issues issue?

I doubt it but stranger things have happened. Are you running it with port aggregation? Is the hub (switch?) capable of port aggregation?  You can always remove it from the line and see if it fixes issues. 

The modem might still be fine. Many times you see issues where an underground cable gets damaged, moisture, a connector goes bad, or even that the signal was boarderline and now something changed to cause it to be to low or to high. 

I'd start by checking all the modem connections. Remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators, kinked cables, cheap cables, extended runs. And check for loose coax connections. 

Message 7 of 8
aonavy1
Guide

There is .100 fw for the rax120. I think it might help with this issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7