Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk C7000v2 Realistic WiFi Speed?

SHABAD0O
Tutor

Nighthawk C7000v2 Realistic WiFi Speed?

Hi everyone, and thanks for your help in advance. I just want to confirm my suspicion before I return my C7000v2, because I can't seem to find a clear answer online.

I am on Spectrum's 400mbps plan, and had been renting their hardware on which I was seeing 460mbps+ speeds over WiFi in all areas of my house. I purchased the C7000v2 on a whim, expecting the same speeds, but I am only seeing a maximum of 300mbps over WiFi on this hardware. I see 460mbps+ over Ethernet, but WiFi speeds are disappointing.

I've checked all the router settings, including the max speeds on 2.4 and 5ghz, I've made sure I'm on the clearest possible channels, and all that. So my question to you is, am I expecting too much of this hardware? Will I ever be able to see ~460mbps over WiFi on the C7000v2? 

Thanks,

Tom

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk C7000v2 Realistic WiFi Speed?

What modem/router were you using from spectrum? 

The C7000 is an AC1900 device. It uses 3x3 antenna configuration for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. so 600mbps over 2.4ghz and 1300mbps over 5ghz. And thats link speed, not throughput. 

Most devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna configurations so on 5ghz their link is going to be 433mbps or 866mbps. With throughput speeds being roughly 55-65% for 5ghz (rough) you can expect max speeds while close to the router around that 400-500mbps. Thats under optimal conditions and close to the router. At distance, if your hitting 300mbps, I'm actually a little impressed because 5ghz speeds/signal drops off fast. 

My orbi was usually around 200mbps anywhere in my home. 

tough to tell you much more because you didn't put what device you testing on, how you're speedtesting (speedtest.com can select different servers), the old device you were using, etc. 

Also, not sure what you're doing that requires more than 300mbps but you can stream 4k at 20-30mbps speeds. 

Message 2 of 6
SHABAD0O
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.  I work in television production and am regularly uploading and downloading tens or hundreds of GB of data. Regardless of my use-case, if I'm paying for 400 down, and could achieve 460 with Spectrum's hardware, I'm not going to settle for less from the Netgear hardware. 

That said, I was using the D3.2 Wired modem and Wave 2 router from Spectrum. I moved the C7000v2 within feet of my PC to test if distance/walls were the issue - it still never exceeded 300mbps. These numbers are consistent across speedtest.net, fast.com, Google, etc. 

Ultimately, if there's not some setting I'm clearly missing that's limiting my speed over WiFi, and/or I can't expect to see 400mbps+ with the C7000v2, I'll be returning it. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I couldn't find a d3.2 modem from spectrum and "wave 2" router just means its a 2nd generatation AC. Not very specific. Maybe you mean D3.1 eMTA from spectrum? which is a docsis 3.1 device. and again, its tough to tell based off "wave 2 router. You might be comparing a quite capable router to a combo device. combo devices aren't going to have the same peak performance as having a modem seperate from the router. 

As well as you weren't specific with whatt you're testing on. A wireless chipset that support 160hz wide channels is going to have twice the throughput of a 80hz devices when the C7000 only has 80hz wide channel support. Especially if the "wave 2" device supports 160hz wide channels.

Regardless you're probably maxing out the c7000.

If you're moving that much data, you should check into hardwiring in your device. Much faster speeds and less concern with congestion/data loss. 

Message 4 of 6
SHABAD0O
Tutor

"Regardless you're probably maxing out the c7000."

Then back it goes to Amazon. Thanks for your help. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you get into a modem only option, then connect up a external wifi router, such as a Orbi AX or a RAX series router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7