× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk MS60 Satellite intermittent connection (Blue/Red light)

adampbowley
Aspirant

Nighthawk MS60 Satellite intermittent connection (Blue/Red light)

I'm running 2 satellites - 1 in the house and 1 in my garden lodge.

When I installed this system, it connected well and all was good. At some point this stoppped being the case, and despite moving the sats around and establishing a connection, it isn't stable.

The distance between sats is under 100 feet and i've made sure they are running the same firmware.

If the system would have never connected in the first instance, due to being too far apart - I would have returned the system and tried something else. Annoyingly, it worked for a period of time but now it doesn't.

Frustratingly, I can get it to connect by moving things, but within minsutes it will go again. I was under the impression that once they connect to each other, if you don't make changes then it should be a consistent connection?

I'm now stuck with an expensive system that I didn't need to solve for connection in the house.

Any ideas would be very welcomed.

Message 1 of 7
adampbowley
Aspirant

1 other point is that the Network Map changes alot. 1 minute it's connected to the router, the next to the other satellite...

Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello adampbowley,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 3 of 7
adampbowley
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I bought this in September. As I said it seemed to work for a while, but now can't get a consistent connection.

Just want to know if it's the distance or how if I can get it to connect 1 minute, is there a way to make it stay connected.

Message 4 of 7
Larry101
Star

See my similar problem from another topic's post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/MS-60s-stop-connecting-to-MR60-about-the-same...

So far they works OK without disconnecting from the router, if I connect both Satellites to the routers.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
adampbowley
Aspirant

Thanks for this, I thought you had solved all of my problems, alas it was short-lived.

So I followed the instructions for the double-NAT issue and got it all up and running nicely, good connectivity to both satellites. Then a little while after I started to notice a couple of odd connection issues on devices, then saw that my furthest Sat had lost connection altogether.

Weirdly, I seem to get a Blue light on the furthest Sat, but it's not connected nor does it appear on the network map...

Can you advise anything else? Could it be interference from neighbours or anything like that?

Soooo frustrating....

Message 6 of 7
Larry101
Star

For about a week now, I really figure out what the problem was, as from my post my Satellites disconnect from the router about the same time every day.

1. I work with my laptop downstair all day, next to a Sat. In the evening, I brought my laptop upstair, where the router located. Depending on when I turn on my laptop, it looks like it tries to connect to the router. During this transition, it kills the Satellites. For the last two night, I did not try to fix (reboot/reset/sync) but to leave them alone. They reconnect after an hour or so.

2. Also my cellphone (if I use WIFI), drops my call if I move a lot around the house.

Earlier, I worked with Support:

1. Change the 2.4/5G channels to see they could interfered with others from neighbor.

2. Turn off AX feature of the router (!!!); this would let all of my connections connect to 2.4 Ghz... Bad idea.

I'm going to get a different mesh and return this one.

HTH

Model: Dual Band
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7