Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 Router MR60 losing connection to 2.4 devices

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello @Christian_R, do we have any update about this? any kind of new beta firmware?
I bought this on  june 30th and im still unable to use it...
3 different firmwares...

1 beta firmware...

2 support cases...
and yet we are like the beginning...

Message 176 of 237
BourbonOnRocks
Aspirant

Been dealing with this 1.5 months and finally was given support. Change 2.4ghz from Auto to channel 09. Change 5ghz to channel 157. Problem solved assuming you are running the latest firmware. 

Message 177 of 237
reverendoandre
Aspirant

keeping my fingers crossed here

Message 178 of 237
JoeMerchant
Initiate

I've had fairly stable performance for a month+ since switching to fixed channel assignments.  A couple of peculiar behaviors I've noticed:

One satellite streams a 1080p/30fps h.265 rtsp audio/video feed to the main network, that stream will be solid for hours, then go flaky anytime somebody walks between the base and satellite.

Often, if my phone won't connect to a particular device on the network, I can ssh from the phone to a computer that is wired to the base, then ssh out to the device from there.  Somehow IP addresses are not finding routes, even when the phone and target device are reported as connected to the same satellite, but the phone can reach an IP on the base and a computer on the base can reach the other device on the satellite.

Message 179 of 237
Kshawks
Initiate

I’ve had this router for probably 3 months, and have had nothing but issues and problems. I’ve never been so irritated and frustrated by a router ever. The past 5 days specifically I lose internet probably 10-15 times daily. I work from home, so it’sa out of fun getting that “vpn lost connection” error message. I’ve tried all the tops I could find in here, I’ve reached out to tech and have no resolution. I’ll have to return this back to Costco, and buy something more reliable if it doesn’t get better quickly.
Message 180 of 237
BourbonOnRocks
Aspirant

Return it before it's too late. Switch to Asus. Netgear doesn't care about their customers.
Message 181 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

Update:

For eveyone that has been told they can not return their router after 3 months, there is a way. I filed a complaint with the BBB, which caused a different team at Netgear to open a support case. It took about a month, but I got a full refund and Netgear paid shipping. The complaint needs to be filed where Netgear is headquartered. https://sanjose.app.bbb.org/complaintreply

Good Luck!

Message 182 of 237
Snorky
Star

When I first got this, it worked flawlessly until I upgraded the firmware a couple months ago, now it has been going down at least twice/week and I am ready to throw it away!

Message 183 of 237
Snorky
Star

The MR60 is junk! terrible!

Message 184 of 237
tm1900
Aspirant

Hi   @Snorky  what exactly is not working? I'm honestly trying to figure out because I bought it from Costco and I am still within the return window.  There's five of us in the house requiring connectivity daily and it seems to be working fine - after I temporarily hard wired each units. The only issue experienced thus far, was bad streaming for Prime one night but I'm not sure if it was this product or if they  (Amazon) had some issues. So far, no  dropped connections or restarts and speed is close to  what  the 400 mbps package from  Charter/ISP.

Thanks!

Message 185 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello @Christian_R, any update about this??

Message 186 of 237
abart
Tutor

I bought a new M60 mesh from Best Buy.  I guess I do have the same issue.  Dropping wifi connections.  I thought it was a fluke, but obviously not.  I'll return mine in the next week since its not an addressable issue.

Running Firmware Version V1.0.6.102_2.0.45.

What brand is the better brand for a mesh setup since its not Netgear?

Message 187 of 237
dj2819
Apprentice

@abartUbiquiti with their HD or Alien line. I currently have the Alien now after struggling with the Netgear RAX120. I also had good experience with Linksys and their Velop line. For Mesh I would recommend spending some more money and not going for cheap solutions.

Message 188 of 237
abart
Tutor

Thanks.  Looking on Amazon now.  I have until Oct 22nd to return this, so I'll have plenty of time to test the replacement.  

Message 189 of 237
bjhoag
Star

I gave up on the netgear mesh stuff and went with EERO.  It has been great.  Set it and haven't had to do a thing.  All managed from the phone and the mobile app is 10X better than the netgear app.  Highly recommend EERO.  Great coverage, great spped and no drops in almost 4 months.  Only reboot was to upgrade firmware about a month ago. 

Message 190 of 237
abart
Tutor

Am I reading this correctly from the M60 logs:

[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:37:54
[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:37:38
[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:14:44
[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:14:34
[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:08:39
[DHCP IP: (10.0.0.2)] to MAC address 9C:8E <SNIP>, Tuesday, Oct 06,2020 18:08:29

Does that mean that device is requesting an IP each time, hinting about a wifi drop?

Message 191 of 237
abart
Tutor

So the devices that had issues were Windows laptops and two Macs.  My Linux laptop had no issues.

With the Windows box, I was assigned an IP and could ping the router but if I tried to ping google's dns server at 8.8.8.8, it failed.  I also could not hit the router's webpage at 10.0.0.1 either.

Message 192 of 237
abart
Tutor

Looks like I'll unsubscribe from this.  I returned the mesh to Best Buy and bought an Ubiquiti AFI-HD mesh.  So far, as always when you buy something new, so good.

Feature wise it isnt as robust as the Netgear but then again, its plugged into my pfSense box which handles everything.

Message 193 of 237
dj2819
Apprentice

@abart Highly recommend checking out Amplifi Community. Any questions, concerns or even just to chat with other users. It is super active and they have engineers who respond back to you with your issues unlike Netgear. Also with new firmware updates they are constently monitoring the forums for any issues.

Goodluck and good choice you made with the HD.

Message 194 of 237
abart
Tutor

@dj2819  I didnt get a mesh 6 from Ubiquiti (Alien) as you suggested though.  I dont have any AX devices other than my cellphone.   I compared speeds of this vs the Netgear and its the same, meaning, its fast.  Unfortunately, wifi drops killed it for me.  

Once my devices start supporting AX, I'll jump to the Alien line assuming no issues with this one.   Thanks for the assist!

Message 195 of 237
dj2819
Apprentice

@abart No worries but the community is for all of their devices! I believe the HD also has forums there.

Message 196 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Christian_R

Any news about this?

I bought this on Jun 30Th, since then im unable to use this device due the wireless instability.

Do you have any update about this?
This is the way that netgear treats their customers? Just selling buggy devices, unfinished products? 

Message 197 of 237
BourbonOnRocks
Aspirant

Correct. Netgear is the new COMCAST of customer service. I have filed a BBB complaint and suggest you do the same. I will never purchase Netgear products again.
Message 198 of 237
MamaRaven
Aspirant

Hey, hubbs and I have had this router for about a month and we're still having issues with connection. Overnight my Galaxy S10 will disconnect -- my LG TV will disconnect/buffer in the middle of streaming, and devices all over our house will go out. We have tried to roll back firmware and it reinstalled itself and the issue has persisted as it has for many others.

We have manually gone in to assign the 2.4GHz channel and the 5GHz channel in accordance with what is best for the connection (we both work in IT) as well as assigned static IPs to the most troublesome disconnects.

Is there going to be any fix for this?

Message 199 of 237
Snorky
Star

This thing is a POS avoid at all costs!

Message 200 of 237
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7