× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX 120 inconsistent operation

Hankj
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX 120 inconsistent operation

Hello

My Nighthawk Router AX12 RAX120 has been a bit of a disappointment, very expensive, inconsistent performance. Should I replace it with a new router, perhaps a mesh for my 2 story, 3500 sq ft house?  

if so which model would be best for a 1 Gbps service and 30+ connected devices?

thanks,

Hank

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
valentinul
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk RAX 120 inconsistent operation

For a house or an apartment with a large footprint, I would go with a mesh solution.

Message 2 of 3
pkgadd
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk RAX 120 inconsistent operation

3500 sqft over two storeys is quite a lot to serve by a single wireless router/ AP, so multiple APs or a mesh solution (e.g. the orbi RBK85x would come to mind) should improve the situation - especially at higher speeds over the 5 GHz band (which is more attentuated by walls/ ceilings than the slower 2.4 GHz band).

That out of the way, it's very difficult to provide guidance if you don't specify what problems you notice with the RAX120 (which is a good router) or what you consider to be not fast enough (over what range, obstacles in the way and how fast your client can be). Yes, IEEE802.11ax can give you >1 GBit/s throughput over shorter ranges and with a capable multi-chain client, but distance (walls) and lower-end clients can't unleash its full potential or do wonders,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7