× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX series

sparhawk2020
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX series

I'm interested in the Nighthawk series, specifically the AX12, 12-Stream AX6000 (RAX 120) or AX8, 8-Stream AX 6000 (RAX 80).

I note that both have "simultaneous dual band 2.4 and 5GHz" capability.  But I'd been advised by my IT professional that ... "you want a router than can separate 2.4 from 5GHz, not combine them.  It's ok if the router has the capability to combine them, but most important is the router also needs to be able to separate them into two distinct WiFi networks for your printers."

I've looked in a variety of places for an answer to this issue - the community forum here, the specs as shown on the website, the user's manual for both routers, and even Google, without success.

Can anyone please let me know if either of these routers fufills my IT pro's requirement?  And if so, could you possibly point me to where I can find the relevant answer in the specs or documentation?

Thank you, in advance, for any help.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Both of those routers have the option to disable smart connect (single ssid function). 

But your it guy is leading you a bit wrong. I have several printers connected to my orbi that uses the single ssid function and I don't have any issues. It isn't a big issues. Sometimes its a little easier to disable the smart connection function while setting up the printers and then turn it back one onces setup but that need is rare. 

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Change your IT Pro.

What kind of printers do you have?

Wireless must serve mobile devices roaming around your house, walking in and out to/from your garden, ...having the ability to have VoIP calls while doing so, to listen music, without interruption or without a manual change of the wireless network. 

A single SSID does connect from the same device to the very same single network. One network == one SSID.

There might be older printers in the field (similar newer IoT stuff) where the installation software does request silly network changes e.g. to discover a 2.4GHz-only wireless device they think (some enforce!) that the mobile device must be connected to the network on 2.4 GHz. Complete garbage!

The risk that older wireless clients are struggling over additional bits in the Wi-Fi 6 or beacons (e.g. for radio resource management informing about other radio MAC which allow to connect to the same network) is much bigger than having an issue with a printer.

In the year 2020 there are zero reasons not to use a single SSID on routers, additional wireless access points, wireless extenders, wireless bridges, whatever - for everything that does connect to your single network.

Message 3 of 6
sparhawk2020
Tutor

Thanks, Plemans, and thanks Schumaku for your responses!  Very much appreciated.

From reading your respective replies, it seems either of the two models have the ability to separate out the 2.4 and 5GHz requirement.

And I realize from your replies that separating the 2.4 and 5GHz shouldn't be an issue but in order to convince my IT pro, could I impose on either or both of you to direct me to some form of documentation that acknowledges the separation, if that's possible?  If not, I understand. 

Again, thank you both for your help.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 5 of 6
sparhawk2020
Tutor

Plemans, THANK YOU, for your quick reply and help!

I think that gives me all the info I need.  I've decided to go with the Rax120 and am looking forward to buying / using it.

Again, your assistance is truly appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7