× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX120 Beta Feedback

Nighthawk RAX120 Beta Feedback

Let me start by saying I also have the Asus GT-AX11000 router and 2 s10's that I have 802.11ax for testing. I am a Systems Administrator and setup\design networks for a living.

First the hardware, its perfect. Its a 10 out of 10. Nothing needs fixed or changed.

Next is the software. After loging in I was transported to the year 2001. The gui is dated and has ZERO gaming features other then basic QOS. Parental controls nope, built in antivirus....no. Fusion VPN....no. I literally can buy a $50 router that can crush this routers gui. Its like putting lipstick on a pig. Netgear put the most dated and featureless OS on the best hardware. Asus routers gui looks gorgeous, netgears rax120 gui looks like the old netgear I have sitting in my junk drawer.

Netgear why did you not put DumaOS on this? This is a $600 router, the market for this is your Tech enthusiast\gamer. Yet you included the OS that is fit for my mom, the os\gui is for the type of person who logs in 1 time and sets it up. Then NEVER logs back in. This is a $600 router and there a ZERO gaming features in the GUI.

I want to love this so much, the hardware is better then Asus. Its just it lacks even some of the most basic router features. For example with Asus I can see what device on my network is using all my data per day\week\month. I have Comcast an have a 1tb cap. I love being able to see the my son used 50Gb of data using Youtube. It helps me manage my data. Then there is a builtin antivirus from Trend Micro. It includes Malicious Sites Blocking, Vulnerability Protection, Infected Device Prevention and Blocking and Two-Way Intrusion Prevention System. This is FREE. Then there is the little things like schedule reboots. 

Summary

Best Hardware period!

Worst Software, It will be going back because the OS is basic and dated. If DumaOS was on it, my ASUS router would be going on ebay right now. 

Netgear PLEASE put DumaOS on this!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Convinced we will see Wi-Fi 6 Netgear routers with DumaOS in the not so far future as dedicated models, one day we might see Netgear Armor (Bitdefender) on the RAX series, for backward compatibility the USB sharing type ReadyShare Print, one day even a Hybrid VPN with true policy routing, ... and of course correctly working Network Maps (with names, and device types tat stic and are the same in the Web UI, IP address for IPv4 / postfix reservation for IPv6, DHCP6, local DNS for the [W]LAN, ...) in the Nighthawk App - not like the mess we see on the Nighthawk series and Genie App - would be nice (currently it does not even exist - except of a CES2019 promotion video).

Aside, does Duma OS have a per-client data counter, and an ability to enforce per device quotas?

Ways to go, Netgear!

Message 2 of 12

I dont remember if DumaOS has a per device break down. I had an XR500 for a while, but moved back to Asus about a year ago. I hate sounding hard on Netgear, but their routers are a mess when it comes to features. It just seems like the RAX120 could do so much more, its just the OS is holding it back. I was told Netgear Armory will not be coming to it from Netgear. Disney's Circle will be added at some point, but it could be 6-12 months. Hardware is solid, I just dont know why there are zero gaming features and its running a gui from 2001.

I moved to the Asus Rog Rapture GT-AC5300 and didnt look back at the XR500. Then in Dec. I got the Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000. I only had one issue with it and it was fixed in the last update. Asus is not perfect, but they at least under stand that a $500 router needs to have a OS\GUI with lots of features. Anytime you have a router over $300 you are aming it towards Techs or Gamers. Shipping a router that cost $500 with a stripped down OS\Gui will not go well.

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Do the Asus Rog properly show _all_ attached devices, regardless if wireless, connected direct to the LAN ports, or connected to the LAN ports through switches, wireless extenders, wireless bridges, ... ? DumaOS seems to have massive limitations on that part, making it not feasible for the tech geek who typically has much more devices on the network than LAN ports are available, has switches, power line, extenders and repeaters deployed.. What might be OK for the high end gamer isn't good enough for us techies.

Message 4 of 12

The Asus shows a complete breakdown. Its sorts by connection type. So it shows Wired \ 2.4Ghz \ 5Ghz-1 \5Ghz-2  (It has 2 5Ghz radio's). I took a screenshot, it only shows you part of what I see, but you will get the point. I have 2 unifi managed switches with a Cloud Key and it all plays fine with Asus. DumaOS does not have all the feature that Asus has, but DumaOS is a million times better then the junk thats on it. Netgear has to start somewhere. 

DumaOs is a seperate company out of the UK. Netgear needs to buy them. Then look at adding more features. DumaOs is a solid foundation. DumaOs is more for gamers then Techies, you are right on that. DumaOS is modular if I remember right so you can add to it very easily. 

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Absolutley, agree @MadHatter0101 ... have placed some proposals for installable modules to the NetDuma reps already btw.

Message 6 of 12

I would love to see DumaOS have built in Bitdefender for both Antivirus and Parental Controls. Netgear needs to split Bitdefender in to two products. The first is router only with the two above features. This needs to be included for free or lets say $5-$10 per year for def updates. Then have the option for $70 that they already have so you can put it on your pc's and phones. 

Now long term what would be fun with DumaOS is a feature I saw an Android router that never came out have. That is a Store built into the OS. So for example you could pick the AV, so if you didnt like BitDefender you could choose Norton, etc. I have to say though Bitdefender makes the best AV, I use them at home and work. Back to the store you could do VPN, firewall Gaming services, etc. Some will come free and some will be paid. So you could customize the router's OS to your needs.

Message 7 of 12
kc6108
Luminary

All this talk makes me think of Synology's operating systems DSM (on their NASs) and SRM (on their routers). I have a Synology DS1918+ NAS. DSM is amazing... stable, robust, modular, etc, etc, etc.

Synology's software on Netgear's hardware... now that would be amazing.

OTOH, DumaOS on Netgear routers looks good on paper, and in videos, but the two companies are obviously stepping on each other's toes. They need to get their act together, and fast. How so many obvious bugs make it into production firmware is beyond me. Someone needs fired.

Message 8 of 12
kc6108
Luminary

All this talk makes me think of Synology's operating systems DSM (on their NASs) and SRM (on their routers). I have a Synology DS1812+ NAS. DSM is amazing... stable, robust, modular, etc, etc, etc.

Synology's software on Netgear's hardware... now that would be amazing.

OTOH, DumaOS on Netgear routers looks good on paper, and in videos, but the two companies are obviously stepping on each other's toes. They need to get their act together, and fast. How so many obvious bugs make it into production firmware is beyond me. Someone needs fired.

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@kc6108 wrote:

How so many obvious bugs make it into production firmware is beyond me. Someone needs fired.

To many problem and bug reports seem to be "platfform" and read very similar to the similar "classic" Nighthawk model variants. Figure... 

Message 10 of 12
2sweet24
Aspirant

YOU KILLED IT, I HAVE NO WORDS!!!
Message 11 of 12

i just asked for the same feature. 

i am coming from the google mesh system. it lets you select "current data usage" and you can see all currently connected devices and their bit rate. you can select "data usage today", "data usage this week", or "data usage this month" and it will show you all devices connected in that range and their total MB's used for that range. 

i have the same issue where i live with roomates and our 4k streaming puts us at or over the cap and i like to know how,when,where our data is being used. 

i too love the routers hardware. but the google mesh app is much more intuitive and gives much better data. the only thing it can do is set a data cap to cut off data usage at XXXXGbs per month

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7