× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX120 with Orbi Pro

q8-bbcode
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX120 with Orbi Pro

Hi,
I have Orbi pro work in Router mode and 4 Orbi pro satellites in our home.
I'm thinking of getting a new WiFi 6 Router, and I have synology NAS.
I'm not sure but this my plan after getting NETGEAR Nighthawk RAX120:
1- ORBI PRO in AP MODE.
2- Using WAN Aggregation to connect my 4G Router.
3- using Link Aggregation to connect my synology NAS.

Why do I choose RAX120 over RAX200?

THANKS
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX120 with Orbi Pro

Orbi and Orbi Pro does bring a great wireless coverage up to some average performance. To make this possible, the backhaul is built on the top 802.11ac technology level (depending on the model). The "client facing" wireless is 802.11ac on the current Orbi and Orbi Pro is always "only" an 867 Mbit/s 2x2:2 radio. While that is sufficient for most applications - note that most mobile devices and computers offer higher capabilities - it does not allow the blinking-fast-leading-edge Wi-Fi throughput the 802.11ac standard would allow.

If I want the maximum wireless bandwidth allover the house, and offering the best coverage, I would* invest in network cables allowing to distribute many capable wireless access points, potentially operating a reduced power to avoid interferences and heavy overlapping bands. And not in a funky Wi-Fi 6 router where you won't have the coverage of your Orbi Pro system. And also not in a coming-up Wi-Fi 6 Orbi. And yes: Wi-Fi 6 wireless AP will become available soon. 

*Well - we have done so, almost 20 years ago - and selected the "right" cabling system so it's still top notch in 2019. And we're updating the wireless APs when the newer standard devices are becoming affordable. Already the WAC540 we've updated some weeks ago need more than one single Gigabit connection, as the total bandwidth for all three radios and many clients exceed the bandwidth. And this is not a Wi-Fi 6.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@q8-bbcode wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new WiFi 6 Router

Not sure why you want to do this ... 

@q8-bbcode wrote:
1- ORBI PRO in AP MODE.

OK, but what is the intention for the Wi-Fi 6 wireless vs. the Orbi Mesh?

@q8-bbcode wrote:
2- Using WAN Aggregation to connect my 4G Router.

4G routers are still ways off the one Gigabit Ethernet capability - real 5G might come near, but still...

And - just in case - the WAN Aggregation is to connect one Internet connection (modem, CPE, FIber, ...), not for Dual WAN and bundling/aggregating multiple Internet connections (e.g. multiple 4G routers).

@q8-bbcode wrote:
3- using Link Aggregation to connect my synology NAS.

Where and how do you expect to take an advantage of the aggregated throughput?

If you have some Ethernet systems, all connected to the Orbi base, and requiring more bandwidth to the NAS, you can deploy a simple managed switch (e.g. a Netgear Smart Managed Plus model) allowing to configure link aggregation, too. 

Message 2 of 6
q8-bbcode
Aspirant

I'm sorry for the Qoutes.
@schumaku wrote:
Not sure why you want to do this ... 

I need one more router, so I think I want something has more power than Orbi

@schumaku wrote:
OK, but what is the intention for the Wi-Fi 6 wireless vs. the Orbi Mesh?

Orbi Pros are for the Whole Home, and the Wi-Fi 6 Router is for me and the future.

@schumaku wrote:

4G routers are still ways off the one Gigabit Ethernet capability - real 5G might come near, but still...

And - just in case - the WAN Aggregation is to connect one Internet connection (modem, CPE, FIber, ...), not for Dual WAN and bundling/aggregating multiple Internet connections (e.g. multiple 4G routers).

I thought it was like Synology RT2600AC Dual-WAN Load-Balancing, and yes I'm waiting for 5G Router.

@schumaku wrote:
Where and how do you expect to take an advantage of the aggregated throughput?

If you have some Ethernet systems, all connected to the Orbi base, and requiring more bandwidth to the NAS, you can deploy a simple managed switch (e.g. a Netgear Smart Managed Plus model) allowing to configure link aggregation, too. 

Through Wi-Fi, so I can't take advantage of it by using Ethernet switch.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

More bandwidth to the NAS through Wi-Fi - and only while "near" to the "new" Wi-Fi 6 wireless AP, not for anyhting else.

And why do you need one more router? One does need _one_ router. 8-)

Message 4 of 6
q8-bbcode
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

More bandwidth to the NAS through Wi-Fi - and only while "near" to the "new" Wi-Fi 6 wireless AP, not for anyhting else.

And why do you need one more router? One does need _one_ router. 8-)

My plan:

WiFi 6 work in Router mode

Orbi pro system work in AP mode

I don't know if Orbi wifi 6 will support orbi pro or not, so I will use nighthawk instead

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Orbi and Orbi Pro does bring a great wireless coverage up to some average performance. To make this possible, the backhaul is built on the top 802.11ac technology level (depending on the model). The "client facing" wireless is 802.11ac on the current Orbi and Orbi Pro is always "only" an 867 Mbit/s 2x2:2 radio. While that is sufficient for most applications - note that most mobile devices and computers offer higher capabilities - it does not allow the blinking-fast-leading-edge Wi-Fi throughput the 802.11ac standard would allow.

If I want the maximum wireless bandwidth allover the house, and offering the best coverage, I would* invest in network cables allowing to distribute many capable wireless access points, potentially operating a reduced power to avoid interferences and heavy overlapping bands. And not in a funky Wi-Fi 6 router where you won't have the coverage of your Orbi Pro system. And also not in a coming-up Wi-Fi 6 Orbi. And yes: Wi-Fi 6 wireless AP will become available soon. 

*Well - we have done so, almost 20 years ago - and selected the "right" cabling system so it's still top notch in 2019. And we're updating the wireless APs when the newer standard devices are becoming affordable. Already the WAC540 we've updated some weeks ago need more than one single Gigabit connection, as the total bandwidth for all three radios and many clients exceed the bandwidth. And this is not a Wi-Fi 6.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7