× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX200. Can't always cast to Google Home Max via Chromecast

eddablin
Novice

Nighthawk RAX200. Can't always cast to Google Home Max via Chromecast

Hi all,

We have a Chromecast in our office. It isn't always avialablle to cast to and sometimes the Max when this happens it shows as offline in the Google home app. This is despite the Google Max being connected to the internet (contrallable via voice) and also on the same 5G band as the casting device.

We have Smart Connect turned on but I think we had the same issue with it turned off.

Tried OFDMA on and off. 

Looks to be no setting to change AP isolaiton?

Restarting can fix the issue temporarily. 

Any ideas for better reliabiltiy. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX200. Can't always cast to Google Home Max via Chromecast

What firmware version are you on? 

what modem/gateway are you connected to?

Message 2 of 5
eddablin
Novice

Firmware - v1.0.6.138 (latest)

Gateway is a Virgin Media Hitron CGNV4

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

That hiltron is a modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 5
eddablin
Novice

Hi thank you for the help. Ithought the router was in modem only mode. I had to change to a multi-static IP to do this. As we're on static IP it removes the option to enable modem only mode which it call RG function. Is there a way to be sure I am in modem only mode?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7