× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX40

rustytang
Follower

Nighthawk RAX40

I am so frustrated I don't even know what to do. I purchased this router in January hoping to improve the wifi in my home from the momdem/router combo my ISP was leasing me. I had previously trusted Netgear as a reliable company and found this Wifi 6 router. Was very excited until I got it up and running. Now my TVs, laptop and phone all drop their wifi connections at random. Lately, my laptop has dropped connection within 40 seconds of connecting, and I am using a VPN for work so I have to enter this every time. I am at my wits end and very much regretting this purchase. Had I known that wifi 6 was going to be a dumpster fire like this I would have avoided like the plague. Does anyone have a solution to make the wifi not utter garbage? I'd really like to not have to accept my loss of $170 and buy a more reliable router from a different company. But it seems that every other post I've seen has the same issues of wifi dropping and NO solution in sight.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? 

What modem are you connected to? 

Have you tried disabling AX? 

Another thing to try is the AX devices have been getting frequent firmware updates that have been fairly extensive. many times a factory reset and manual re-install can help quite significanly. Have you tried this? 

Message 2 of 16
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

I also have many issues with my RAX40 using Firmware Version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1 here in France

• 5G wifi not working after some time
  • some devices can't connect >>> reboot fixes
  • hangs of whole RAX40
  • reset to factory defaults w/o any action

I joined support who asked for monney and I payed for NOTHING!

This product too young is full of bugs.

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

@ronald_fr wrote:

Hello,

I also have many issues with my RAX40 using Firmware Version V1.0.3.64_1.0.1 here in France

• 5G wifi not working after some time
  • some devices can't connect >>> reboot fixes
  • hangs of whole RAX40
  • reset to factory defaults w/o any action

I joined support who asked for monney and I payed for NOTHING!

This product too young is full of bugs.

A. Don't jump on someone elses thread. If you want help, start your own thread.

B. "joined support" How? if you googled support, its scam/con sites you get. You have to click "mynetgear" at the top. Register an account and then the device. Support is only free for the first 90 days from purchase. 

Message 4 of 16
ronald_fr
Luminary

Ok understood.

FYI about support : I joined Netgear Support by phone. As my registered RAX40 is older than 90 days (Oct 2019) I had to pay to obtain support ... I paid and no fix and no real help.

Best regards

Ronald

Message 5 of 16
ilichten
Tutor

Yes. All of these happening for me as well. The router is updated to the latest available firmware. Every WiFi device in my home disconnects at random and the router needs to be fully power cycled every day or two after completely locking up and dropping WiFi completely. 

90 days of support is a joke.

We need someone from Netgear here. I thought mine was just defective until I came here and saw other people with the exact same issues. We need a firmware update that FIXES this. Or a refund. Or both, maybe a partial refund for not receivn the service that we paid for. Something.

Message 6 of 16
pjhoek
Aspirant

Awesome, you berate someone that was looking for help but didn't understand your stupid forum rules then describe how support works (which they paid for) and then you offer no constructive advice… Oh, wait, you can't because the product is rubbish.

Message 7 of 16
ilichten
Tutor

New firmware update today: 1.0.3.80

No change log from Netgear yet.

I have noticed a couple new features/options:

• Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best 2.4 GHz or 5GHz WiFi band for your WiFi connections (it continues on)
  • Now supports WPA3-Personal

So far so good. Remaining hopeful. Curious how others experience is.

Also, @plemans said disable AX? Lol at that. If I didn't want AX I would've saved money and bought a router that didn't have it. Disabling a core advertised feature is not a solution. Also to you, don't jump on other people's threads? I think this could be an exception where we all have at the same exact issue to discuss about the same exact device. Why would we split that between multiple threads?

Come back @ronald_fr! Let's get tegether and get this sorted out and get some real solutions from Netgear (supposing this new firmware hasn't fixed it).

Message 8 of 16
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

Back after a couple of weeks... In the meantime my RAX40 has been exchanged because it's various hangs. It seems better than the previous, no more hangs, I only have the iPhone 11 issue with 5GHz WiFi channel (Intel is working on this).

iPhone 11 is configured to use only 2.4 GHz (until issue fixed).

The new firmware (1.0.3.80) is not yet available here... To be used asap.

Best regards

Ron

Message 9 of 16
ilichten
Tutor

Well, it was solid for about a week and I got my hopes up, but now that hope is fading. Last two days its been back to its normal, honestly pretty terrible self.

Anyone else running the latest firmware? How's your experience been?

Message 10 of 16
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

I upgraded f/w to 1.0.3.80  this morning and I monitor it. No issue yet.

Regards

Ron

Message 11 of 16
ilichten
Tutor

Started acting up again. Frequent WiFi dropouts and needing to be fully rebooted every couple of days, sometimes multiple times in a day. 

Did a full factory reset yesterday, first since upgrading to the latest firmware. Touched as little as possible after the reset, just changed admin password, SSID and password, and ReadyShare USB share location. Chose a new SSID and password to keep any devices that may have connected before from reconnecting.

***Fingers crossed***

Message 12 of 16
Pokemon888
Guide

With updated firmware.

I also have similar issue, device has connection to Wifi from the router but unable to surf the net.

Intermittently, the router hang for no reason, press the two buttons on top of the router but responding.

login to the router also not responding. 😞 have to turn off and turn back on. hapeened 3 to 4 times a day .

have tried to turn off and turn on the new feature of this router ....just don't work.

Message 13 of 16
osirus35
Aspirant

I have always had dropping connection issues but since upgrading to the lastest 1.0.3.80_1.0.1 even after factory reset I am dropping mulitple times a day. At least once per hour. 

Message 14 of 16
saad959
Initiate

Please keep me updated. I have the same issues. It doesn't make sense to have to do a full reset when I just set it up the first time a week ago.

I'm really thinking about returning this and replacing with something else. Its getting really frustrating. I even turned off AX and Smart Connect but it still drops out. When it stops working all the lights are still solid and green but I have to reboot it to make it work again.
Message 15 of 16
ilichten
Tutor

@saad959 Honestly, return it. It's not worth the hassle. I've had mine for about four months and would return it in a heartbeat if I could. Even if turning AX off for your had fixed it, you shouldn't have turn off a core advertised feature. I'll never buy a Netgear device after this. The first one I had was great, I used it for about 8 years, that's why I came back. But this one has been terrible, and now I see their support is also terrible.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7