× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX45 IPv6 routing works then stops. Resumes routing after RAX45 reboot, then stops again.

HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX45 IPv6 routing works then stops. Resumes routing after RAX45 reboot, then stops again.

Nighthawk RAX45 Firmware Version V1.0.4.100_2.0.64.   Advanced settings IPv6 on LAN as "DHCP" or "Auto Config" the IPv6 routing to the Internet STOPS/FAILS with either config.  WAN side is DHCP with Comcast and IPv6 address is present.

Same results with these clients, Linux Mint 20.2, Android 11, Windows 10 And Windows 11. Wired or Wireless connections, for clients that have both.  Note: Android used here only gets IPv6 address by "Auto Config" on RAX45.

Immediately after a RAX45 reboot, all client OS's noted above, their IPv6 connections complete to "ESTABLISHED" (not verified in Android), Then go the TIME_WAIT as expected. After some time all new IPv6 connections show only "SYN_SENT" with no completion to Established. I will try to track the exact time to failure.  I know for sure now it is under 24 hours.

Once IPv6 connections fail, a Windows OS client with a ipconfig release/renew of DHCP address, or a client reboot of any OS, or a client network disable/enble, each of those show client IPv6 address is present on return to link up, but still no IPv6 routing completes to Internet sites. IPv6 specific nslookup or dig for Internet sites also fails with no response. After RAX45 reboot those nslookup/dig do return results as expected.

On LAN side IPv6 address is present, and the client link local fe80:: is present.  The route table shows the RAX45 "router interface" link local fe80:: address as the default route for IPv6 for the Internet at ::/0 as expected.  This is also true when RAX45 is routing successfully.

I have repeated the RAX45 reboot process 4 times over the last few days and that solves the no-IPv6-routing, but only for a short period of time.

Looks to me like this Nighthawk RAX45 has a IPv6 routing process failure. Did the process crash?  Anyone seen the same?

NOTE:  IPv4 is not affected.  All client devices are dual stacked, getting both their IPv6 and IPv4 addresses from the RAX45, so all Internet sites connect via the IPv4 addresses when IPv6 connection attempts fail to complete.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 IPv6 routing works then stops. Resumes routing after RAX45 reboot, then stops...

IPv6 routing has remained up and running.  So,in my case, it depends on the Comcast IPv6 address issued by Comcast DHCPv6 on the WAN side, AND the Comcast IPv6 net address assigned on the Netgear LAN side which are used for Netgear DHCPv6 on that LAN side. How those Comcast routable IPv6 addresses get to the LAN side, I do not know.  Nonetheless, I guess I have "good" routing IPv6 addresses at this time (by luck).

Solution if IPv6 routing stops: Either 1] reboot RAX45, or 2] reset and "Apply" the IPv6 setting (described earlier in this thread) on the WAN side configuration.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 IPv6 routing works then stops. Resumes routing after RAX45 reboot, then stops...

What modem are you using?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

DarrenM, thanks for the reply and question. The cable modem is Arris Surfboard SB6190, DOCIS 3.0 capable. No wireless, just the single coaxial and sinlge ethernet connectors. I own it. Connected to Comcast cable, which took a call to Comcast support to have them connect/configure it to their network.

Message 3 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just checked online with Comcast/Xfinity to make sure the Arris SB6190 is approved and compatible with my local cable connection. It is.

Attached screenshot. Also shows it supports IPv6.

Message 4 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

More information: I also now know that the Arris SB6190 cable modem has the Puma 6 chipset - known problems with latency - but my issue is with IPv6 routing stopping completely.

Message 5 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Further testing today.

1] IPv6 state at start of test: On RAX45 the WAN IPv6 present from Comcast DHCP, IPv6 on LAN present (also a Comcast routable IPv6 address). Client Linux powered on and IPv6 routable address present via DHCP from RAX45 and part of its local network (fe80:: address is also present as it should be with route table showing fe80:: address of the RAX45 as the default router to Internet addresses).

2] IPv6 routing from client to Internet is NOT working.  IPv6 WAN and LAN addresses recorded (written down).

3] Rather than RAX45 reboot, made this change instead:  RAX45 login >> Advanced tab >> Advanced Setup >> IPv6 >> Internet Connection Type >> "DHCP" which was auto dectected with Comcast during previous reboots.  Here I DID NOT reboot. I selected in the drop-down menu "Auto Detect" with no other changes. Press "Apply" button.  RAX45 applies the setting. During apply process the client network connection drops (wireless connection used for this test).

4] After Linux client network connection returns to "up", the IPv6 routing is working. Verifed by 'netstat -anut' and seeing IPv6 addresses in "ESTABLISHED". And by going to https://ipv6.google.com

5] Log back into RAX45 and record WAN and LAN IPv6 addresses. Yes, they changed with these noted differences:

a) The WAN side "Connection Type" ihas npw reset itself to DHCP again.

b) WAN side Comcast address stayed the same for the network-side, the first 64-bits of the 128-bit address. The host address of the RAX45 changed -- which would not be unusual depending on how Netgear software chooses its 64-bit host address after receiving a DHCPv6 offer, and accepting it.

c) The LAN side IPv6 address changed in the "local network" (first 64-bits) part of the network-side address in the forth-position.  Here is an example before and after: 2601:602:9f00:280::  changed to 2601:602:9f00:2d4::

d) RAX45 "LAN Setup" for IPv6 is set to "DHCP Server" and Linux client has valid IPv6 address on network 2601:602:9f00:2d4:: (using my example above).

e) I did an Internet IPv6 check address, and the client 2601:602:9f00:2d4::<plus host portion> shows accurately. This also verifed that  Netgear is not doing a NAT-for-IPv6-addresses but is truely routing the client IPv6 address out to the ISP and Internet.  The client IPv6 address also shows by IPv6 checking to be a real Comcast network address, meaning it is not a random, made up address.

6] I have been watching the IPv6 client connection for 3 hours and it remains up and running. 

Sorry for the lengthy details but I am trying to find the sources of the problem.  I am now leaning toward the Comcast IPv6 pool on the LAN side of the RAX45. Is that entire IPv6 network assigned by Comcast to the Netgear LAN side (how Netgear is doing that, I do not know), is that network valid in Comcast IPv6 routing tables? Yes it is or routing would not be working at all. But how long does Comcast routing tables hold it? I am now waiting to see if the routing stops again and will note the time. It's been 3 hours good so far.

Message 6 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: It has now been 7 hours since change this morning and IPv6 routing is still working.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like it was on the ISP side of things.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy.

Message 8 of 10
HJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

IPv6 routing has remained up and running.  So,in my case, it depends on the Comcast IPv6 address issued by Comcast DHCPv6 on the WAN side, AND the Comcast IPv6 net address assigned on the Netgear LAN side which are used for Netgear DHCPv6 on that LAN side. How those Comcast routable IPv6 addresses get to the LAN side, I do not know.  Nonetheless, I guess I have "good" routing IPv6 addresses at this time (by luck).

Solution if IPv6 routing stops: Either 1] reboot RAX45, or 2] reset and "Apply" the IPv6 setting (described earlier in this thread) on the WAN side configuration.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7