× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX45 stopped broadcasting

kkgregc
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX45 stopped broadcasting

Hi,

I have a Nighthawk RAX45 (from Costco) and just today, for no apparent reason, it is no longer broadcasting. I have done the reboot sequence where you unplug everything, then plug them back in order of Modem, WIFI, and my devices. This did not work, it is still not broadcasting.

All the lights are on, including the broadcast light, but none of my devices can see that network. All the antennae are plugged in too. Nothing that I know of changed from yesterday to today. It just appears it decided on it's own to stop broadcasting

Anyone seen this before and can provide a suggestion?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 stopped broadcasting

I've seen it happen after a firmware update. Its pretty rare but some updates need a reset to clear out old settings that can cause issues. 

But you've got it working now after reinstalling? If so, I'd make a backup in case it happens again. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

Did you try a reboot? 

did you try a factory reset? (sometimes a firmware update needs a factory reset and it might have updated in the background)

Message 2 of 6
kkgregc
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

I'm not sure what firmware, how do I tell? I can't log into the router because it's not broadcasting. 

I did not do a factory reset, wouldn't that reset all my setting like my wifi name and password? I would rather exhaust all other options before doing that one.

I did the steps I outlined in my post only and like I said, this happened over night; yesterday evening it worked fine, this morning it did not.

On a related note, I switched to my other wifi and now my Netflix does not work but all my devices I reconnected on that other wifi work just fine, including the computer allowing me to write this post. Not sure it this is related, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Thanks for your help because trying to get help from Netgear is like winning the lottery, just the scant few find success! Man, talk about endless do-loops...

Message 3 of 6
kkgregc
Aspirant

It appears my router did some sort of reset. My custom settings were all erased and it went back to the factory default. Any idea why it would do that on its own?
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I've seen it happen after a firmware update. Its pretty rare but some updates need a reset to clear out old settings that can cause issues. 

But you've got it working now after reinstalling? If so, I'd make a backup in case it happens again. 

Message 5 of 6
kkgregc
Aspirant

Thank you

Yes it all seems to be working now

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation