× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX50 gaming settings

Bemo
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX50 gaming settings

I have a Nighthawk AX6, model # RAX50 that I upgraded to for more stable gaming and working from home. Gaming console is an Xbox Series X and modem is an Arris SB8200. I've got 2 main issues going on:

In regards to opening ports, I've tried 2 different ways to open them up so I have an open NAT. One is to manually open all the ports by entering them in and setting a dedicated IP for the xbox. The other is to not specify the ports, but leave the NAT filtering set to Open instead of Secured. Both ways, I still get a moderate NAT type on the xbox in Call of Duty Warzone though the xbox settings will say my NAT is open. Is it possible to have one side Open and the other Moderate?

I'd also like to use IPV6. I set it to auto detect to determine the type needed and the LAN setup is also set to auto configure but the xbox still doesn't register IPV6.

All in all, I'm getting the speeds that I'm supposed to be getting (1000mbps downloaded 35mbps upload), but I'm still experiencing latency spikes all the way to 450+. 

The router is updated to current version, ISP came out today to verify all connections are ok, and if I hardwire directly into the modem, everything runs perfectly for the most part. What am I missing in the settings?? I've been at this all day today trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX50 gaming settings

Latency spikes during gaming or while speedtesting off a pc/laptop? 

have you tried putting the xbox's ip address in the RAX's DMZ? 

Message 2 of 9
Bemo
Tutor

I tried doing so with the DMZ and while that opened my NAT across all games and the system itself, I'm still experiencing high latency spikes. Jumping from 40-60's range all the way up to 150+

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Do you get the ping spikes/times if you've got the xbox directly wired to the modem?

You'll expect a router to increase ping a bit because its an added step in the process so I'm curious to see what it is without the router. 

Message 4 of 9
Bemo
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

Do you get the ping spikes/times if you've got the xbox directly wired to the modem?

You'll expect a router to increase ping a bit because its an added step in the process so I'm curious to see what it is without the router. 

No I don't actually but I can't figure out how to run the router and xbox straight off the modem at the same time. The modem does have 2 ethernet ports so I would think this be possible? Another thing I've noticed if I go straight off the modem is the xbox will recognize iPV6 but does not connect that way through the router, even if the router settings have it turned on.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Be

No I don't actually but I can't figure out how to run the router and xbox straight off the modem at the same time. The modem does have 2 ethernet ports so I would think this be possible?---Its not. most isp's only allow 1 public ip address (meaning 1 device connected). The 2 ethernet ports are for wan port aggregation (that router doesn't support).  Its a rare ISP that allows more than 1 public ip address for free.  Another thing I've noticed if I go straight off the modem is the xbox will recognize iPV6 but does not connect that way through the router, even if the router settings have it turned on.

Message 6 of 9
Bemo
Tutor

Still having issues with opening the iPV6 on the xbox and with latency spikes during gameplay.. Anyone have any other settings I could try tweaking? It's definitely this router causing the latency as when I'm hooked up to the modem directly, I do not have these issues. Just bought this router back in July.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Have you tried simply disabling ipv6?

Message 8 of 9
Bemo
Tutor

Yes. The factory settings for the router have the ipv6 setting disabled. When enabled, the Xbox doesn’t recognize it either.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7