× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX80 all of a sudden won't assign IP's to HP laptops

PTSDarrin
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX80 all of a sudden won't assign IP's to HP laptops

Good Morning, woke up this morning and found that none of my HP laptops in the home (we have 3 HP 840 G6 laptops, and 1 HP 840 G5) were getting IP's from the router (RAX80). At first I thought it was an HP update or wireless driver issue, however I have these laptops connected to a domain and they don't receive updates that I don't push to them via SCCM - last update any of them recieved was in March 25th, so ruled that out.

Checked my other devices, everything seemed fine, all Amazon products, Ring doorbell, gaming consoles and my desktops were connected fine. I tried assigning the laptops a manual/static IP, nothing, reset the entire network configuration in Windows, killed and restarted the DHCP client service, reinstalled WLAN drivers etc. Nothing. (Obviously rebooted both modem and router) 

I also connected the laptop to my mobile hot spot on my phone and that picked right up and worked as well.

The only thing that fixed it was when I did a factory reset on the RAX80....it worked for a bit, then started up again after I rebooted one of the laptops, and had to do a factory reset AGAIN to get connectivity on those devices. Anyone have ANY idea whatsoever what could be going on? This just started today and I've had the router for about a month now.

Also as I'm typing this I did check firmware in the Netgear Router UI, and it stated it was up to date, showing version V1.0.1.70_1.0.30, but when visiting the support page I do see a new f/w version of 1.0.2.76 is available. However still doesn't explain why this started happening, I will try the f/w update in a bit, but curious if anyone has any ideas or has dealt with something similar, thank you!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
PTSDarrin
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 all of a sudden won't assign IP's to HP laptops

Well with further self troubleshooting I was able to resolve the issue, so hopefully this helps out someone in the future. After updating f/w to the latest version and rebooting the laptops, they all failed once again to obtain an IP from the router. However worked fine on the hotspot so again, not the laptop/nic/drivers causing issues (no updates to these machines in almost 60 days).

The solution was to simply disable the AX feature: Advanced>Wireless Setup> Enable AX (uncheck this box)

Still unsure caused the problem out of the blue since the machines don't update, and I don't recall if this setting was disabled before and somehow got enabled, I did have auto updates enabled for the RAX80 but can't find any logs or anything stating there was an update. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
PTSDarrin
Aspirant

Well with further self troubleshooting I was able to resolve the issue, so hopefully this helps out someone in the future. After updating f/w to the latest version and rebooting the laptops, they all failed once again to obtain an IP from the router. However worked fine on the hotspot so again, not the laptop/nic/drivers causing issues (no updates to these machines in almost 60 days).

The solution was to simply disable the AX feature: Advanced>Wireless Setup> Enable AX (uncheck this box)

Still unsure caused the problem out of the blue since the machines don't update, and I don't recall if this setting was disabled before and somehow got enabled, I did have auto updates enabled for the RAX80 but can't find any logs or anything stating there was an update. 

Message 2 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PTSDarrin,

Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help others!

Best,

Christian 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7