× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 slow WiFi

Aisaev
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX80 slow WiFi

Hi, I have gigabit internet and just replaced my router with the RAX80. I updated it but somehow get just 400mbs in wired connection straight to the router. How can I fix this?
Message 1 of 77
plemans
Guru

@Aisaev wrote:
Hi, I have gigabit internet and just replaced my router with the RAX80. I updated it but somehow get just 400mbs in wired connection straight to the router. How can I fix this?

What have you done to try to troubleshoot this?

Have you tried a different computer?

Tried a different browser?

Have you tried disabling QOS to see if that helps?

Or tried a different speedtesting website? 

We would need to know what you've done to try to fix the problem. What firmware is your router on?

Message 2 of 77
plemans
Guru

did you get gigabit speeds with your prior router?

If you directly hook up from computer to modem do you get gigabit speeds?

Message 3 of 77
Aisaev
Tutor

I have used other computers, still way lower than expected. Different browser and speedtesting site as well. Disabled QoS didnt hell. The router shows gigabit speed on the inbuilt speedtest but somehow eats half of it before sending it wired
Message 4 of 77
Aisaev
Tutor

Yes I did get gigabit speed prior and with the modem directly plugged in
Message 5 of 77
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on?

have you tried resetting the router and starting back at factory?

Are you on the most current firmware? if so and still having issues, have you tried downgrading the firmware a version or 2? sometimes the newest firmware has issues. 

Just thoughts to try. 

Message 6 of 77
bmfkai
Star

I'm having the exact same problem. QoS is disabled, latest firmware installed. I was getting 1.3gbit before upgrading to this router and still do when plugging the old router back in. They both have identical settings in terms of features enabled/disabled, port forwarding, static routes, etc.
Message 7 of 77
bmfkai
Star

Ok so this is weird, enabling QoS has fixed this issue for me.
Message 8 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Yeah same for me, it's ~400 Mbps down before i enable QoS. Then it's 950 right where it should be.  Then you can again disable QoS and retain the good speed.  But if you then reboot the router, the speed is again neutered to 400Mbps down.  This is an error!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Does this have anything to do with enabling LAG?  I just got a CM1200 router and messed a bit around with that before giving up on it.  (I was getting slower speeds LAG that with just one wire.)

Message 10 of 77
bmfkai
Star

Not sure but I don't have aggregation enabled on mine since my max down is a gig

Message 11 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

I was able to fix it I think.

I did a factory reset on it and just never dealt with/enabled LAG even though I have a CM1200.

I didn't touch any of the QoS except to turn off WMM.

Seems to be giving me full speeds again.

Message 12 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

No dice.  Not corrected.  Issue resurfaced this morning. 

I'm going to try to revert back to 1.0.1.40 see if that fixes it.

Message 13 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Speeds are good right now.  I'll give you guys an update tomorrow to let you know if the fix is permanent.

Message 14 of 77
bmfkai
Star

Were there any significant changes between the current and last firmware?
Message 15 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

I'm not exactly sure, but I noticed the date of the first post.  So i just got the firmware before the one that was available then.

So far so good, haven't experienced reduced the speeds yet.

Message 16 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Spoke too soon.  The router QoS throttling returned just now.

I've reinstalled the most up to date firmware and will just keep monitoring it until it's fixed.

Message 17 of 77
bmfkai
Star

This is a frustrating bug that needs patched. Pretty sure the QoS implementation has its own issues as well as I've been seeing a lot of dropped packets and full connection hangups with it enabled.
Message 18 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

I agree completely.  My frustrations:

1.  A $400 top of the line router has issues with a simple ethernet connection.

2.  This issue has been prevalent for ~6 months with no response or recognition from Netgear Support.

3.  You cannot get support for products past 3 months unless you pay for additional support.

4.  The title of this thread talks about "WiFi Speeds"  when it should be "Wired Speed" or "Ethernet Speed"

Message 19 of 77
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Snipe_AT - Would you mind sending me a message with your case number and contact info. I'd like for our support team to follow up on your case.

~Christian 

Message 20 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Will do.  I've got pictures for the settings required, firmware versions, etc.

Message 21 of 77
MisterGem
Initiate

I am having the same issue.  Was getting my normal 930-940MBs as recently as Wednesday (8/7).  Updated to 1.0.1.62, speeds dropped to the 400's.  Just rolled back to 1.0.1.58 and I'm still getting speeds in the 400s.  I regret upgrading this firmware and I am beginning to really regret spending $400 on this router that needs more attention than my old R7000 ever did in the 3 years I owned it.  I am also beyond the 3 months of support from Netgear.  About to chuck this thing in the trash.

Message 22 of 77
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MisterGem - We recommend performing a factory reset on the router after a firmware update. Please perform a factory reset and let us know the outcome. 

~Christian 

Message 23 of 77
bmfkai
Star

I thought we had evolved beyond the need to perform factory resets on devices after a firmware update.  🙂

Message 24 of 77

@bmfkai wrote:

I thought we had evolved beyond the need to perform factory resets on devices after a firmware update.  🙂

It is really a "how did that happen?" response when things go wrong.

Most people happily update time after time. But sometimes stuff happens, or Netgear makes a seriously large change to the firmware.

Unfortunately, it seems to be an industry wide phenomenon.

Message 25 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7