× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 slow WiFi

Snipe_AT
Star

To keep an update going. 

When I factory reset, the issue seems to be resolved.

When I enable LAG (Link Aggregation) between my RAX80 and my CM1200, the speeds are then limited to ~400Mbps.

When I subsequently disable LAG, the speeds are still limited to ~400Mbps even when QoS is off.

The speed from a speedtest directly on the router shows appropriate speed (~950Mbps)

I then enable QoS and set both down and up to 1000Mbps and the issue is resolved again.  I can then subsequently disable QoS and the issue will remain resolved until ~24 hours later.  At this point the speed limit will again be imposed.

In summary, I think the issue has something to do with the way that LAG and QoS interact. (When LAG is enabled, QoS is greyed out and unavailable.)

Message 26 of 77
bmfkai
Star

I tried as well... factory reset and restored a backup. Same issue, I cannot get full speed unless I enable QoS. So I tried again only this time I only set up just the basics and did not restore a backup of my settings. Exact same issue, no full speed until I enable QoS. I mean I guess I could leave QoS enabled but I shouldn't have to. I also noticed another issue in both factory reset attempts... unless QoS was enabled, wireless connections would not exceed about 280mpbs. Only with QoS enabled could I connect at 1200mpbs. This is very frustrating and disappointing for such an expensive router.
Message 27 of 77
slowroadrunner
Initiate

I just brought this RAX80 router and i'm having similar isssues. I get 1GB connection from my ISP and when I run a speed test from the router and get 940 mbps consistently. However, I’m testing other devices and only getting around 150mbps (disable QoS) and about 200mbps (enabled QoS) that's less than my older router. 

Message 28 of 77
syntonic
Initiate

Same issue here.

The speed from a speedtest directly on the router shows appropriate speeds (~900Mbps), but I get 50Mbps or less on a regular basis. I tried downgrading to the .40 version of the firmware. Enabling QoS and doing a factory reset.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I definitely regret getting this router.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 29 of 77
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello slowroadrunner & syntonic,

Thanks for posting. Please note that your device is provided with 90 days of complimentary support with our support team which can be accessed using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Furthermore, please provide us with the firmware version of your router and the devices you're using to run a speed test. Also, how are your wired speeds performing? 

~Christian 

Message 30 of 77
GodOfRanch
Initiate

Yeah this thing is going back, My R8500 gave up the ghost today after just over a year and already dealing with bugs on this firmware? 

Yeah nope. 

Message 31 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Alright boys I've got a temp solution.  I was RMA'ed and found out that the problem I was having was repeatable.  The issue has been forwarded to the engineers to try and determine the problem.

I can get the router to fix itself be doing the following, but this is only temporary.

1. In advanced settings, turn off both of the wifi radios.

2. Reboot the router.

You can then turn back on the radios back on after the reboot and the speeds should remain.  But if the router subsequently reboots after that, this issue will return.

Please let me know if this solution is working for you.

Message 32 of 77

@Snipe_AT wrote:

I can get the router to fix itself be doing the following, but this is only temporary.

1. In advanced settings, turn off both of the wifi radios.

2. Reboot the router.

You can then turn back on the radios back on after the reboot and the speeds should remain.  But if the router subsequently reboots after that, this issue will return.

Give that person a medal!

Message 33 of 77
bmfkai
Star

And this allows you to leave QoS off?
Message 34 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Haven't even touched QoS since I factory reset.

I just got 960Mbps

Message 35 of 77
xxtensazenxx
Guide

Just got this router today and having the same issue. Pretty sure this things getting returned until a certin brand I LINK to quality relases their wi-fi 6 router 

Message 36 of 77
syntonic
Initiate

Turning off the radios, restarting the router, and then turning them back on definitely helped. But, maybe my router restarted because my speeds have dropped again.

I also still have pretty spotty connections/dropped connections. Argh, this is definitely pretty annoying.

Message 37 of 77
Stianu89
Tutor

Im also having issues with the latest firmware. This router has been nothing but trouble ever since i bought it. Last netgear product i will purchase as there has been months without a stable firmware. (all other firmwares has issues) 

Message 38 of 77
bmfkai
Star

So this factory reset solution only lasted a few days... speed was back down until I re-enabled QoS.  😕  Frustrating

Message 39 of 77
Stianu89
Tutor

Still having the same issues. This router is paperweight outclassed by 10$ wifi routers. 

Message 40 of 77
bmfkai
Star

I don't know if I would go that far... I mean everything else works great and all my connections are solid. Even the majority of my traffic isn't affected by the drop in speed over WiFi, it's just annoying that it keeps dropping. It's almost as if QoS is reversed in that I only get constant full speed with QoS enabled and reduced speed with it disabled. That's likely just a firmware issue that can be fixed, eventually. This is also a pre ratified AX device so it's not like we didn't know there "could" be potential issues.
Message 41 of 77
phoyte
Star

I bought this router a few weeks ago and noticed that I wasnt getting the speeds.  This morning I had our ISP out to the house to confirm that I was getting 1GB to the hours.  Ran tests using Ethernet directly to laptop - got 966.  Ran test after pluggin in to the router - 233.  Problem is definitely the router.  Very surprised with this type of performance with Netgear.  Expected better.  So I understand that I have to turn off the radios, reboot the router, then turn them back on to get the true speed?

Message 42 of 77
plemans
Guru

@phoyte wrote:

I bought this router a few weeks ago and noticed that I wasnt getting the speeds.  This morning I had our ISP out to the house to confirm that I was getting 1GB to the hours.  Ran tests using Ethernet directly to laptop - got 966.  Ran test after pluggin in to the router - 233.  Problem is definitely the router.  Very surprised with this type of performance with Netgear.  Expected better.  So I understand that I have to turn off the radios, reboot the router, then turn them back on to get the true speed?

Everyone's situation is different. Please start a post of your own instead of jumping on this one so we can work on your specific situation. 

make sure to put:

router:   Firmware on it:

Modem:

Make sure you speed test over a hardwired connection and to test several sites (aka speedtest.net, fast.com, etc)

Message 43 of 77
djholt
Guide

I'm having the same issue exactly. LAG enabled. 400 Mbps on gigabit connection. Horrible.

I'm actually using RAX75, not RAX80, but the problem is identical. The workaround posted by Snipe_AT works, until a reboot. Enabling and then disabling QoS works too, until a reboot. Horrible.

Firmware: 1.0.1.64_1.0.27

Any known fixes or acknowledgement from Netgear on this? Otherwise, the unit is being returned tomorrow. 😞

Message 44 of 77
phoyte
Star

THanks for sharing.  I'm totally frustrated with this.  Im packing up the router and taking back to Best Buy TODAY!!!!  Gonna get another router that works. 

Message 45 of 77
Snipe_AT
Star

Hey guys giving a status report.  Issue still remains but Netgear support is actively attacking the issues.  The latest firmware update was an attempt to bound the issue.  The error remains the same though.  I expect to hear something back from the engineers sometime next wek.  Here is what I told them in the latest message. 

"Hello! I have just finished full troubleshooting and have to report that the issue is not yet resolved. On a positive note, the debug log seems to be working with no issues. I was able to log the steps where the issue manifests and my solution to it. Speed are still limited to ~400Mbps when I reboot the router with my wifi configured. Attached is a collection of 7 debug logs that were taken at every step of my router configuration following a full factory reset."

I hope they are able to figure it out soon.

Message 46 of 77
djholt
Guide

Thanks for working with their engineering team on this! Gratitude.
Message 47 of 77
phoyte
Star

Wonder how long it's going to take them to figure it out. Does anybody have this model that's actually working ?
Message 48 of 77
djholt
Guide

FWIW, the RAX120 is a fantastic router that does not exhibit any of these issues. I've put it through its paces rigourously, and it performs. My only preference toward the RAX75/80 is a matter of cost (I found this unit for a good price). Otherwise, I'd recommend the RAX120 hands down. I plan to switch back to that model if this doesn't work itself out in short time.

Message 49 of 77
plemans
Guru

The RAX120 is a Qualcomm based chip while the RAX80 is Broadcom.  I've had much better luck with qualcomm based routers than I have with broadcom ones. 

Message 50 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7