× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX80 wifi issue with specific domains

Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX80 wifi issue with specific domains

I'm having trouble accessing a limited number of completely regular websites over wi-fi. They work fine when using the Ethernet port. I've tried turning off the EAX80 extender, tried resetting everything to factory, tried from mobile phone, ipad, computer. As far as I know, this issue only affects two websites. There's nothing strange in their addresses or anything. I'm completely puzzled. Any ideas?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 wifi issue with specific domains

You have the RAX80 and the EAX80?

What modem/gateway are they connected to? 

have you noticed a difference if they're connected to one versus the other? 

Message 2 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, correct.

They are connected through the ISP:s router, but that has been bridged by them on request and puts all traffic directly through to the RAX. Since these sites are perfectly reachable over the Ethernet ports of the RAX, there shouldn't be an issue with the ISP:s equipment, though. I can't tell what model that equipment is, really.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Does it matter if you're connected to the router or the extender when trying to access them over wireless?

do you have IPv6 enabled?

If you look at your gateways label, it should have a model. Reason I ask is half the time the isp's gateway is poorly coded junk and their bridge/passthrough mode doesn't always work the best. 

Message 4 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

No I hadn't tried to enable IPv6, I can try that later. I've tried to turn off the extender without any different behaviour. But I mean still, as the sites are accessible through the RAX's ethernet port, it's clear that they pass through the ISP equipment. Somehow they are stuck when sent over the wi-fi antenna instead of throught the ethernet port, and as far as I know, this only affects two sites that I visit fairly regularly.

Message 5 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still no solution to this, so any help would be appreciated. As stated, it's only over wi-fi that these sites remain unavailable.

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

1. what actual ISP gateway is it? 

2. What mode is the ISP gateway setup in? 

3. did you try enabling IPv6?

Message 7 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I appreciate taking the time.

IPv6 doesn't change anything, unfortunately. I'm not sure how I can see the mode of the ISP gateway. It is set to use dynamic ip, however. I'm not sure whether it's always the same in practice, though. The gateway, if you mean it's ip address, is 155.137.24.1.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

No, I mean what actual gateway is it. look at the label for it. It should have a model number

Message 9 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah, okay, it only says "Genexis" on it, and the model is visually the same as this: https://genexis.eu/product/hybrid

Can't tell if it's the same actual model though, since there are no indications other than how it looks. It lacks visible labels.

However, as stated before, the internet connection is bridged to the Netgear router, rather than shared with it (I don't know the exact terminology here, sorry), and the sites in question are reachable when connecting a computer to the Netgear router over ethernet, but not over wi-fi.

According to the ISP:s customer support, the problem should be with the router.

The sites have been reachable previously, I can't tell exactly when the problems started but it must have been somtime last year.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

so try taking the genexis out of bridge mode, leave it in router mode and put the netgear in access point mode. 

Maybe its bridge mode is faulty. 

Message 11 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, I will try to do this but I'll have to call their support since they did this remotely. Thanks for the moment.

Message 12 of 13
Lbx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't try this yet, but I tried activating a proxy service, after which it worked. This is not a necessary solution for me at all times, though. But does it give any clue? I feel I need to stress that the sites I was trying to reach are perfectly normal sites accessible from more or less everywhere and that the also are accessible over the Nighthawk when using an ethernet cable.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7