× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX80

spmuk
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX80

Please can you tell me do I need a seperate modem for this router?

If I do, can you please tell me the best modem router I can purchase from you?

We live in a building 50 years + with very thick walls and not wifi friendly

Thanking you in advance

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

The RAX80 is a pure router so yes, you need a modem. First check with your ISP if they allow using your own one as some don't. 

As for modem, the NETGEAR CM1000 is a good one https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1000.aspx

Message 2 of 4
spmuk
Aspirant

Thank you, just looking for the best (up to £400.00 ish) router with built in modem, any further suggestions?

I need to use the existing router (BT Homehub) in the garden office (with hard wired data point), approx 50m from the house, so looking for the best (up to budget price) wifi router with modem to replace the hub indoors.

We have problems with wifi indoors 50+ year old house with thick walls, not got fibre in the area (download speed 41) we use google mesh, but still got wifi slow points, so looking for the "best" we can get

@microchip8 wrote:

The RAX80 is a pure router so yes, you need a modem. First check with your ISP if they allow using your own one as some don't. 

As for modem, the NETGEAR CM1000 is a good one https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1000.aspx

Message 3 of 4
microchip8
Master

I actually do not recommend a modem + router combo (gateway). If it fails, your whole network goes down. Having seperate devices is easier to exchange and more flexible. Also, a gateway gets very few updates (which most if not all are done by the ISP)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7