× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk ax12 rax200 and VPN installation

abc888
Aspirant

Nighthawk ax12 rax200 and VPN installation

Hi there, have an existing ExpressVPN subscription and would like to install it on my router. Can it be done for this parricular router? Thanks
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighthawk ax12 rax200 and VPN installation

Have you asked ExpressVPN? It is more likely to have a database if compatible devices.

Or try this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – ExpressVPN

Message 2 of 7
rinthos
Luminary

@abc888 wrote:
Hi there, have an existing ExpressVPN subscription and would like to install it on my router. Can it be done for this parricular router? Thanks

ExpressVPN does not have firmware for the RAX200 router published at this time.  Also make sure you take note of their warning:

"

Important: Installing any third-party firmware, such as ExpressVPN for routers, could invalidate your warranty. Check with the manufacturer if this is a concern. "

If you just use Express VPN client on Windows or Mac systems, they will work, but not the router feature. If it helps, I don't believe any Wifi 6 routers from any vendors are currently supported by Express VPN...you'll want to get older hardware (see ExpressVPN's site, I believe the most modern one they support is the R7000P Netgear router.

May want to check with ExpressVPN or FlashRouter, but I would highlight that even though the hardware may appear to be Netgear, it won't be supported in any way by Netgear given it's all modified firmware.

Hope this helps answer your question and give you options.

Message 3 of 7
abc888
Aspirant

Thanks much, rinthos.
Aside from a possible updated firmware from ExpressVPN for wifi6 routers, is it possible for Nighthawk ax12 rax 200 to support the OpenVPN protocol?

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks
Message 4 of 7
avtella
Prodigy

No, Netgear doesn’t allow third party VPN profile installation on the Nighthawk routers. I created a suggestion asking for this very feature, you can vote for it and maybe they’ll listen if enough people ask.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home
Message 5 of 7
rinthos
Luminary

@avtella wrote:
No, Netgear doesn’t allow third party VPN profile installation on the Nighthawk routers. I created a suggestion asking for this very feature, you can vote for it and maybe they’ll listen if enough people ask.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Yeah.  Just to provide clarity incase anyone else looks at this, Netgear does support OpenVPN in the sense that they can run an OpenVPN server on the router, but that is for clients connecting to the Router, not the Router joining/connecting to another network which is what you and the original poster are describing.

At this point time to look elsewhere for that functionality unless Netgear adds it...

maybe a cheap Fortigate 60E will suffice for what you're trying to do? Not a Netgear product obviously 🙂

Message 6 of 7
rinthos
Luminary

^^ The Fortigate reference would be for IPSec for ExpressVPN, I've not used ExpressVPN but they apparently support standard configurations...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7